Any ideas what these 2 plants are?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
These 2 plants are volunteers to my garden this year that i have not seen/noticed before and would be interested to know what they are. The first plant is a low growing creeper that doesn't appear to be an aggressive grower. It am thinking if would be a charming ground cover, but before i encourage it too much, i'd like to know more about it. Any ideas?

The second plant looks like it might be putting out flowers in the not too distant future. Right now it is about 18" (46.cm) and all parts are hairy, hairy round stem, hairy leaves, hairy offshoots. Any ideas? Thank you friends.:)

P1020514.JPG P1020515.JPG P1020519.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've seen that first one in my yard and it's considered a weed here, but I also think that it would make a very nice ground cover; I'd rather have that than lawn grass. I don't consider it a weed, if it's what I have it's called Dichondra

Read more at Gardening Know How: Dichondra Plant Info: Tips For Growing Dichondra In The Lawn Or Garden https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/groundcover/dichondra/growing-dichondra.htm

The other two remind me of American Burnweed, but I'm not sure....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The creeper one is lovely so i hope you can keep it Beverley. I've tried to grow dichondra as a ground cover but it seems to die off here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I think there isn't much question that the first photo is Dichondra and i will keep it to use as ground cover. It also has pretty little flowers of white or violet or? Some people use it to replace grass and it can be mowed. Doesn't grow over about 2". It is a pretty little creeper so i will try to expand its territory in the area where it is growing, a triangular space that will be planted with perennials. So thank you for this id.

Also very possible that the 2nd plant is American burnweed, an Asteraceae, which i have enough of for the pollinators so i think i'll pull this one up and not wait for the flowers that would clinch the id. Good Ids @roadrunner and thank you so much. This year it looks like i have a couple of really nice volunteers, the Dichondra and also a Cacao tree that is growing nicely in a shady space. In between 2-5 years it should start producing chocolate bonbons:LOL:. It is somewhat amazing to me, because the Cacao tree (not entirely sure of this, but if not, then a close relative) chose to grow in a shady part of the garden (It is an understory Malvaceae). Now this part of the garden is known for harboring all kinds of unsavory bichos (slugs and such) but this little tree is a couple of feet tall now and doesn't have one bite mark on it, or aphids and such. It seems a little bit odd, although if the tree is Cacao, the leaves might contain caffeine that is keeping the bugs away. I guess i'll look that up when i am awake.

Ask a Question