Any home plants that can be used to repel mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I have gone out and it has been mosquito season, I have even sprayed myself with listermint to keep them away from me. It really does work well but is rather a strange perfume to wear. I think the venus fly trap sounds like a good idea and they are interesting looking plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My grandmother used to plant marigolds right around our house and she told us that they repelled mosquitoes. I don't know how far true this is, but I can tell you that we never had mosquito problems at our house growing up, so maybe it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When the mosquitoes aren't too bad, I'll brush my hands over geranium leaves, then rub my arms with my hands. Seems to work okay, but in the thickest of summer nights, it doesn't seem to be quite as effective.

Also, I'll use a few drops of geranium essential oil in my hair or mixed into lotion. I'm not sure about how effective this is because I don't really use very much, but maybe I'll try dousing a camp shirt with a spray of it. We'll see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes light horse shoe fungus and let it slow burn. it just smoulders for hours and works well. to help keep the nats away(y)....mind you its only to help my friend out that visit. As they don't seem to bother me for some reason they never bit me lol and if they do they drop dead:whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
:eek: Mosquitoes do have a preferred "flavor" of human. There's about 20% of the population that the little buggers just can't resist. I am one of those, and I agree with Beth_B, spray yourself down for going outside, and try not to pet the cats 'til you've washed it off.

That said, if you really want to try a plant, I'd try catnip. At the website posted below, you'll find a study saying:

"the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

If nothing else, the cats will be happy! ;)

From my experience cat nip does not work AT ALL. We have one on our back porch. I rarely get bit. But my wife is one of those people who get bit no matter what. But yeah anyway. The mosquitoes seem to like landing on the plant to take breaks during their bombing runs on my wife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
New to site, but have been reading for quite a while.
Has anyone tried this, it has good reviews and although I use it, I haven't been bothered by midges anyway, maybe worth a try, it's quite cheap.
I'm not in any advertising, just saying
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Origi...64&sr=8-1&keywords=avon+skin+so+soft+mosquito
I have a similar(ish) product from Avon, it's supposed to be mostly natural, no deet. It smells nice and it works like a hot damn. I'm in the middle of the spectrum with mosquitoes, they don't love me, but they will bite me if they get the chance, walking through thick bush with a swamp nearby, literally at least a million mosquitoes, that stuff repelled about 80% of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since I've started trapping rain water in my makeshift rain barrel I've noticed that mosquitoes are very quick to lay eggs, even if I close the lid quickly, they're able to get in. I have tons of larvae after a few days. I just make sure I use up that water before they do their transformation.

I'm curious what others do with mosquitoes in their rain barrel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I put a little gasoline in mine. Its lighter than water so it floats on the top and kills or repels the buggers. I had a tap about 3/4 the way down mine though, and I didnt use it for watering plants very often.

Ask a Question