Can plants make a difference in air quality inside your home?

Reaction score
I hate the cooler months of the year because I have to keep my windows shut to stay warm. At times I feel like the air becomes steal, and I don't think I'm imagining it. What type of plants can I bring in to increase the oxygen supply in my home. Is it pointless?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if plants improve the amount of indoor oxygen but they do improve the quality of oxygen. Aloe plants can clear by products of chemical cleaners from the air.
Chrysanthemums can filter benzene from the air. Chinese Evergreen filters air pollutants and on an increasingly progressive level. I think all houseplants and indoor tree's help improve the quality of indoor Oxygen, which would help the air feel less stale during winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Micheleteresa- can you still use the aloe on your skin even though it has absorbed the biproducts of the cleaning agents in your home. I would not want to use the gel if it were to contain a bunch of toxins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a great question, one I had not considered and can not answer. I will have to research it more but in an attempt to find an answer I did stumble upon an article stating that Aloe does improve the supply of oxygen and absorbs formaldehyde, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide. According to Earthship., one pot of aloe is equivalent to nine biological air cleaners.
I also would not want to use Aloe from a plant that may contain these toxins, I am wondering do these toxins convert to clean air which the plant "breathes" back into the environment or does the plant become a containment for the toxins.

Ok came back to edit/add to this post rather than start a new post. it seems that YES the toxins are stored in the Aloe plant and that those who grow their own Aloe to use for consumption are consuming the toxins as well. It is recommend that any Aloe grown for consumption be grown in a lead free , pollutant free environment without any pesticides used in the cultivation. Make sure the Aloe is one of the three specific medicinal types of Aloe and is at least three years of age before harvesting leaves for use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I think that house plants do more then clean the air in your house, They actually add quite a bit of humidity which feels great in the winter. If you have a room that's to dry add a few tropical plants, providing they have enough light to grow. The increased humidity helps you not feel like your skin is drying out. It will help with your sinuses feeling not so dry and scratchy. It is for sure going to help you if you wake up with sore throats from the forced air heat. Just make sure you dust the leaves to keep allergens down.

I put my tropical in the bathroom when I shower so they get a nice warm humid soak. Water them and then put them where you need them. In the warmer months take them outside to the porch or yard.

Ask a Question