10 Plants That Clean The Air In Your Home

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We like to have plants in our homes because of their beauty but there are some plants that help to keep harmful chemicals out of the air of our homes this is a very informative article on which plants help to keep your home healthy, if you don't have any of these in your home you may want to add them after reading this article. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20452423,00.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this article!:)
In our hose, we grow three peace lilies, many boston ferns, two snake plants and a few golden pothos vines, so the air here is really clean:D

Reaction score
Do you know if any of them are toxic to cats and other animals?

Out of all the plants that are listed in the link - the only ones that would be considered as a safe choice if you have cats are

The Lady Palm
Boston Fern
Wax Begonia
and The Spider Plant

bearing in mind that even though they are considered as safe - if you have a a cat that is a plant nibbler - its probably best to not have any at all - especially as even plants considered to be safe can sometimes cause digestive upset - if too much is consumed.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, I already knew about the photos, but not about the the others! It'd be really wise to get a couple of those for the house now that I read this article (y)

Reaction score
@gata montes, thanks. I am afraid that I have a crazy cat! I would be too afraid that he would eat the plants whole! He has eaten a tomato, grapes, and a plum off my table before. A plant would be old news.

Reaction score
Over the years i have always have a lady palm and a spider plant in my living area not only do they beautify the house but also helps in cleaning the air.

Reaction score
I love plants in the house and have many. Among them are English Ivy (several different kinds), Snake plant ( or as I grew up calling it, Mother in Law Tongue), Golden Pothos, and Spider Plant. In fact, my spider plant is sending out the stems the blooms and "baby spiders" appear on right now. I do not have a good sunny window, but the plants seem to do well in my large living room window that is shady, but gets reflected sunlight.

Reaction score
I have two of the listed 10 in the article. The Snake plant or Sanseveria as I know it and the Spider plant. The two Sanseveria I have are years old and huge. They bloom every year and have spikes of pretty white flowers. I just got the Spider plant over the summer and don't yet know what it will do.

Ask a Question