Large Home in Need of Some Indoor Plants

Reaction score
My family has a large home (roughly 3200 square feet) and all of our greenery inside of it is fake. :( I'd like to put a living plant (or two) is just about every room. However, I have two cats and two small children (my son is 3 and my daughter 11 months). I'm looking for suggestions for indoor plants (on the medium to large size, I have a lot of space to fill!) that won't be harmful to pets or kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My family has a large home (roughly 3200 square feet) and all of our greenery inside of it is fake. :( I'd like to put a living plant (or two) is just about every room. However, I have two cats and two small children (my son is 3 and my daughter 11 months). I'm looking for suggestions for indoor plants (on the medium to large size, I have a lot of space to fill!) that won't be harmful to pets or kids.
In my experience it is the other way around. What plants won't be harmed by pets or kids.

Reaction score
In my experience it is the other way around. What plants won't be harmed by pets or kids.

That is true. My kids are very curious but they are good about not touching things they are not supposed to. (My cats on the other hand are a different story). However, I am concerned about them (kids and pets) getting sick if they accidentally eat a portion of the plant for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is true. My kids are very curious but they are good about not touching things they are not supposed to. (My cats on the other hand are a different story). However, I am concerned about them (kids and pets) getting sick if they accidentally eat a portion of the plant for whatever reason.
For the fun of it I just googled poisonous houseplants and scrolled down to Denver Plants. Lord, I had no idea there were that many dangerous plants. Check it out

Reaction score

Ah I can already see a bit of difficulty here - especially as there tends to be quite a bit variation between what plants are toxic to cats and those that might be toxic to children.

So as there are so very many different plant varieties that can be extremely harmful to both pets and children and as the symptoms of poisoning don't show up instantly and often go undetected for quite some considerable time before they start to show - so much so - that by the time they do - it is often too late - it is always best to be safe and check that any plants you are thinking of having either in your house or growing in your garden - will not put your pets or children at risk or endanger their lives.

Which although this can be very easily done by checking the individual toxic plant lists for cats and children online - I am in order to make life easier - including a very accurate and reliable link here

https://user.xmission.com/~emailbox/plants.htm

I would however just add that being a cat owner the plants listed in the above link - only applies to cats and not children - the latter of which - would require a different list - as the list of plants would -although similar - be quite different :)

Reaction score
The smart thing to do, at least in the beginning is to have hanging plants that are well out of range of the kids and the furry friends. Once the novelty of them has worn off then you can begin to integrate more plants into the environment. A terrarium might be good too because for the most part it is covered and out of harms way.

Reaction score
Which although this can be very easily done by checking the individual toxic plant lists for cats and children online - I am in order to make life easier - including a very accurate and reliable link here

https://user.xmission.com/~emailbox/plants.htm

I would however just add that being a cat owner the plants listed in the above link - only applies to cats and not children - the latter of which - would require a different list - as the list of plants would -although similar - be quite different :)

Thank you so much for this, I will have to check out it tomorrow (after I get some sleep). I defiantly want some real green instead of the fake silk plants.

The smart thing to do, at least in the beginning is to have hanging plants that are well out of range of the kids and the furry friends. Once the novelty of them has worn off then you can begin to integrate more plants into the environment. A terrarium might be good too because for the most part it is covered and out of harms way.

Thank you for the hanging plant suggestion. I will have to give this a try. I also like the idea of a terrarium. My toddler could probably help build it, too. He loves activities like that. I will have to give both of these a shot and let you know how they turn out.

Ask a Question