Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been seeing a hummingbird visit the yard virtually everyday, but he will not wait around as I get my camera...will have much more hummingbird plants next year...

I saw a bunch of birds eating my sunflower seeds yesterday morning; one is a cardinal (of course), but the other is what I believe is a House Finch -- female.

The only reason I know of House finches is because I've seen a male (more colorful) hanging around long enough that I was finally able to ID it by looking over "mugshots"; however, he also doesn't wait around long enough until I get my camera....

001.JPG
002.JPG
006.JPG
015.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Very nice @roadrunner...you might keep an eye out for hummingbird nests. I was surprised to find they were nesting in an overgrown Senecio vine in my previous garden. I was able to observe them egg to first flight without being overly intrusive and of course, very sparing with the camera to avoid camera flash damage, etc. They will at times nest quite close to the ground, like maybe 3-4 ft if the habitat is right. You may see lots of dark, tar-like droppings that provide a nesting clue. I observed a few successful (2 egg per nest, sometimes one gets booted out), nestings that were a joy. First one egg is deposited in a partially built nest and then a couple days later, a second egg is deposited in the completed nest.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Very nice @roadrunner...you might keep an eye out for hummingbird nests. I was surprised to find they were nesting in an overgrown Senecio vine in my previous garden. I was able to observe them egg to first flight without being overly intrusive and of course, very sparing with the camera to avoid camera flash damage, etc. They will at times nest quite close to the ground, like maybe 3-4 ft if the habitat is right. You may see lots of dark, tar-like droppings that provide a nesting clue. I observed a few successful (2 egg per nest, sometimes one gets booted out), nestings that were a joy. First one egg is deposited in a partially built nest and then a couple days later, a second egg is deposited in the completed nest.:)
Much of my yard is like a jungle, so I can see having some hummingbird nests; it's just a matter of finding them -- could be more difficult than finding bigfoot:p

Finally got a pic of a male House Finch today...assuming I've correctly ID'ed this bird:cautious:

002.JPG
005.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG
022.JPG
026.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cicada Killer Wasp.jpg
The other week I found a wasp I never heard of before. I found a 1/2" row of dirt between concrete that had been dug out one day. I was thinking maybe I got a little garter snake, went to get my camera to watch it, and then saw this wasp, Cicada Killer Wasp. It was dragging the paralyzed cicada into the hole. They tunnel chambers underground, lay eggs under the cicadas, so the larva has something to eat. I actually like cicadas singing here all summer, and they're harmless, so the wasps had to go.

Treblot84

~Home Grown~
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Between 6B and 7A
Country
United States
Found this on my garden shovel just now and thought i would share it with everyone. Kind of creepy but also pretty interesting.
20180810_113711.jpg
Here is another less creepy photo.
20180803_115718.jpg

Treblot84

~Home Grown~
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Between 6B and 7A
Country
United States
@Henderson Yes that is exactly what I thought too! The spider was huge once we made it move, with yellow stripes on its legs.

Ask a Question