Animals in your garden

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mocking birds are great at catching insects in flight, never see them at the birdfeeders eating seeds. However, I do see them eating (besides bugs) tons of berries and other fruits, so I can see them eating tomatoes and peaches.

I allow many berry-producing plants to grow and it seems to keep them happy and away from my tomatoes, although I did once have a blueberry bush that I purchased and could only harvest one or two berries off of it:cry:

Some of the plants/weeds I allow to grow to appease our state bird: Pokeweed, Beauty berry, American Nightshade, various greenbrier vines in the Smilacaceae family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rural area @Logan and fences here are mostly four strips of wire running across posts. This is the only image I have to show you. If you're curious about the log, it now has a bird bath on top. :)

071.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These are common ground doves (best I can tell from ID'ing on the internet).

What's interesting about these birds is that I see them roosting in my garden a lot (on the ground) and they've gotten so use to me that they are very reluctant to fly away when I walk up to them, most of the time I don't see them until they start walking way -- I've gotten as close a meter to them and they don't fly away, even though they're up against a fence.

They also remind me of love birds, since they're always very close to one another, often resting against one another when roosting.

003.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
My son lives in Ohio and just recently an animal has been eating his tomatoes that are still attached to the plants. Any ideas what it might be please? I didn't think animals would eat them knowing their consistency and flavour but I've obviously been proved wrong. :)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My son lives in Ohio and just recently an animal has been eating his tomatoes that are still attached to the plants. Any ideas what it might be please? I didn't think animals would eat them knowing their consistency and flavour but I've obviously been proved wrong. :)
Is the entire tomato eaten or just a bite or two. Are they green tomatoes or colored. Here in the states many animals love tomatoes. From mice to moose and just about everything in between. This year many of my green tomatoes were eaten by deer. They knocked the tomatoes off of the plant and then took 2 or 3 big bites before doing it again. Racoons and possums usually eat about 1/3 of a tomato. Rats and mice just take a few small bites before moving on the next tomato. I hear ground hogs love tomatoes but thankfully they aren't in Texas. And squirrels...................................

Ask a Question