An unhappy surprise in the greenhouse.....

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Had TWO sprung traps and 1 trap missing the bait (but not tripped) this morning.
Hi David...as your middle in the trap got a ledge if so put several pieces of food on it besides past the ledge that releases the trap and also trail food along the cage till it gets the ledge what releases the trap as the knowledge of being greedy takes over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi David...as your middle in the trap got a ledge if so put several pieces of food on it besides past the ledge that releases the trap and also trail food along the cage till it gets the ledge what releases the trap as the knowledge of being greedy takes over.
20181111_062911.jpg

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@David from Dothan can't that trap be but on the ground?...a few years back I caught squirrels sitting on our decking destroying my bottle brush shoots for the nectar and I brought a cage and place the nut on the trap like you've done the food in the pic and they was cheeky snatching it and getting out, so I put nuts outside the trap trailed 3 along put two on top of the ledge and two after and bingo...each day one was caught and then released, although your supposed to kill them here in the UK but instead my hubby released them over the canal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
I understand...I kept looking at them thinking it may have been something other than a critter but if they were already established and no longer plantlets it probably isn't what I was thinking....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@David from Dothan can't that trap be but on the ground?...a few years back I caught squirrels sitting on our decking destroying my bottle brush shoots for the nectar and I brought a cage and place the nut on the trap like you've done the food in the pic and they was cheeky snatching it and getting out, so I put nuts outside the trap trailed 3 along put two on top of the ledge and two after and bingo...each day one was caught and then released, although your supposed to kill them here in the UK but instead my hubby released them over the canal.
Yes......I put it on the ground, in the greenhouse. Had to put it on to of the fence to get a better snapshot of the trigger/bait pad for you. Two years ago, I caught and relocated (MILES away) 19 grey squirrels using a larger version of this trap.....and, ACTUALLY, scored a double catch in one trap......TWICE.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
ACTUALLY, scored a double catch in one trap......TWICE.
Well I never caught like that but you need to use more food to make them greedy...I had to move my bottle brushes in to the ground in the garden and they was going lovely and last winter how the temps was up and down here..i lost 7 in total, it did my neck in :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
This may be unliked but I really don't think an animal ate those plants. It would not be mowed off like it is...Animals are not that neat...I see something else in that pic...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
I think the plants got attacked with "damp-off ".. The base of them are shriveled and the tops quickly shrivel up ending up looking like that. No animal will knock over every plant like that and eat every top off..they are very sloppy...

Have no idea where this pic came from, it was in a file on my front page, but look at how these plants have fallen over. They died from " damp off ".
garden-daybook-321135.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the plants got attacked with "damp-off ".. The base of them are shriveled and the tops quickly shrivel up ending up looking like that. No animal will knock over every plant like that and eat every top off..they are very sloppy...

Have no idea where this pic came from, it was in a file on my front page, but look at how these plants have fallen over. They died from " damp off ".
View attachment 46992
That's, totally, a possibility........but, there's NO remnants of the tops, at all......the tops appear to have just been bitten off.

Ask a Question