United Kingdom
None taken at all my friend, made me laugh :D

I only meant the Brits as a whole :)

Reaction score
Appropriately this extends to plants and vegetables;

zucchini=courgette
eggplant=aubergine
cilantro=coriander
courgette and aubergine are because these vegetables are (were originally?) shipped from Morocco and that was a French speaking colony, hence the French names for the veg.
Cilantro is the plant. Coriander is the seed. They taste and smell different, and are used differently in cooking. That's what we call them in Canada - don't know about anywhere else.

Gata - your post made me laugh!

Reaction score
Cilantro is the plant. Coriander is the seed. They taste and smell different, and are used differently in cooking. That's what we call them in Canada - don't know about anywhere else.

In the UK it's coriander for the leaves and 'coriander seeds' for, well, the seeds. At least as far as I can tell.

They look at you weird if you go on about cilantro.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We do you know

We probably think you're talking about a type of car, like a Fiat Cilantro or something.

Reaction score
TheCrazyPlantLady

Pleased to hear that, cos I really enjoy a good laugh too. :)

While I'm here and just out of curiosity, is bullocks a bad word in Canada ? Where I come from bullocks are small bulls :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
TheCrazyPlantLady

Pleased to hear that, cos I really enjoy a good laugh too. :)

While I'm here and just out of curiosity, is bullocks a bad word in Canada ? Where I come from bullocks are small bulls :D
Whoops, spelled that wrong. Bollucks, not bullocks - a completely different animal. But no, I don't think many people in Canada even know what bollucks are, it's not a word in common use.

A tip - if you visit Canada, and anyone offers you prairie oysters, just say no!

Reaction score
Whoops, spelled that wrong. Bollucks, not bullocks - a completely different animal. But no, I don't think many people in Canada even know what bollucks are, it's not a word in common use.

A tip - if you visit Canada, and anyone offers you prairie oysters, just say no!

It was just a curiosity thing, but love your reply, especially the bit about Canadians not knowing what they are:D so you could actually use that word a lot in Canada, without offending anyone.

Prairie Oysters, not heard that one before, many thanks for the tip, definitely something that I shall bear in mind, but, you can't just leave it like that, my curiosity is going wild here :D don't know if I dare ask for a description :) but am figuring that the response, would be that, the translation is unprintable and I should Google it.

Reaction score
It was just a curiosity thing, but love your reply, especially the bit about Canadians not knowing what they are:D so you could actually use that word a lot in Canada, without offending anyone.

Prairie Oysters, not heard that one before, many thanks for the tip, definitely something that I shall bear in mind, but, you can't just leave it like that, my curiosity is going wild here :D don't know if I dare ask for a description :) but am figuring that the response, would be that, the translation is unprintable and I should Google it.
Well, they are what is left over when you make a bullock (UK definition). For Americans - it's the dangly bits that used to be on a castrated bull..... breaded and fried... really!

Reaction score
Well, they are what is left over when you make a bullock (UK definition). For Americans - it's the dangly bits that used to be on a castrated bull..... breaded and fried... really!

Ugh ! No way I could eat them, breaded, fried or otherwise. They are also a delicacy where I live too, can't remember what they call them here, but do know, I've never been tempted to eat them. So thank you for the tip, I shall always decline the offer of a prairie oyster, whatever Country I'm in.

Wasn't there a Canadian country music Band called The Prairie Oysters ? :D A bit of an unfortunate choice of name, don't you think, considering that when translated, they would be have been called The Bulls Testicles :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ugh ! No way I could eat them, breaded, fried or otherwise. They are also a delicacy where I live too, can't remember what they call them here, but do know, I've never been tempted to eat them. So thank you for the tip, I shall always decline the offer of a prairie oyster, whatever Country I'm in.

Wasn't there a Canadian country music Band called The Prairie Oysters ? :D A bit of an unfortunate choice of name, don't you think, considering that when translated, they would be have been called The Bulls Testicles :)
LOL! Yes there was, and I think that was probably exactly why they called themselves that - it's kind of an in joke in the western part of the country :p

Reaction score
Cojones de Tejon ?

Sorry but I'm definitly ROFL, yes they are cojones, :D but would advise against ordering ' cojones de tejon ' in a restaurant, as not only would you confuse the waiter, but also put yourself at risk, of receiving some serious bodily harm. If you really felt that you had to eat this revolting sounding delicacy, asking for some criadillas would result in a less confused waiter and one that was, much more amenable to your requests :)

TheCrazyPlantLady - Like it - they had a good laugh then :)

Ask a Question