American Beauty Plant

Reaction score
Everyone is sharing such great pictures. I thougth I would share a few of my American Beauty Plant. I love this plant. The berries are so beautiful in the fall. I often get several branches and arrange them with the yellow black eyed susans that grow wild around here. It makes a wonderful contrast. My husband cannot stand this bush for some reason and he wanted to cut it down, but I prevailed. I wish I had a few more scattered throughout my yard. Have you ever seen one of these?

outside american beauty plant.JPG
outside american beauty plant.2.JPG
outside american beauty plant 3.JPG
outside american beauty plant 4.JPG
outside american beauty plant.JPG

Reaction score
That's a beautiful bush, Shellyann. I've heard of them but never seen one before. I'm glad you won the battle! :D

Thank you very much. I am glad I won the battle too. I don't understand what his aversion to my bush is? LOL He will just have to get over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love it, it's so big and it looks so vivid and lush! It's a gorgeous plant. The little berries are very pretty as well. If I were you, I wouldn't let anyone cut it down either:)

Reaction score
Last week I was given a bush called a Beauty Berry Bush. Could it be the same thing? My plant has only three sprigs of leaves on it. I was told they turn a lovely shade of silver in the fall and the berries are brilliant in the winter time. (I don't have any berries on mine, since it's still tiny.)

These photos are beautiful, and I'm glad you still have your plant to enjoy! I think it's really neat the way the berries cluster around the leaves. Do the birds like the berries?

Reaction score
Nice plant :) I had never seen one like that, those berries look very nice! Do you have plague issues because of those berries? I can see that happening, because there are a lot bugs who are really attracted to berries.

Reaction score
I love it, it's so big and it looks so vivid and lush! It's a gorgeous plant. The little berries are very pretty as well. If I were you, I wouldn't let anyone cut it down either:)

Thank you. I really enjoy the berries in the fall.

Last week I was given a bush called a Beauty Berry Bush. Could it be the same thing? My plant has only three sprigs of leaves on it. I was told they turn a lovely shade of silver in the fall and the berries are brilliant in the winter time. (I don't have any berries on mine, since it's still tiny.)

These photos are beautiful, and I'm glad you still have your plant to enjoy! I think it's really neat the way the berries cluster around the leaves. Do the birds like the berries?

It could be a member of the family! I think that there are several different types that grow in different regions. I don't recall the leaves on mine turning silver. Here is a link with all of the different varieties out on the right margin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautyberry The birds do get on the bush but they do not take as many berries as you would think. The link says that since the berries last well into the winter the birds save the berries for last.
Good luck with yours!

Beautiful! I have never seen one of those before. It reminds me of grapes! :)

Thank you southernmom3 I really like my bush!

Nice plant :) I had never seen one like that, those berries look very nice! Do you have plague issues because of those berries? I can see that happening, because there are a lot bugs who are really attracted to berries.

Not alot of bugs or birds bother the plant. The birds will eat the berries but they don't eat very many of them.. I have not seen any bugs either. On the link I read that the plant is used as a folk remedy for mosquito bites and that it has 4 chemicals within the plant that repels insects! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautyberry All this time I have been looking for natural bug repellant and it was right here in my yard!

Reaction score
The color of the berries is so intense. It is a beautiful plant but I never saw one before. Glad you reached a "compromise" and you kept that wonderful addition to your home.

Reaction score
As soon as I saw your photos I recognized this bush rite off the bat. My mother has several of these growing around her home that she planted. I was always asking her what they were called so I'm so glad I know the name now. They are really beautiful bushes. Thanks for sharing! I learned something new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Shelly, that is an absolutely awesome bush ! I have never even heard of it before, but if it grows there in NC, I should be able to grow one, too.
Are the berries edible, or just for the birds ?
What do the flowers look like when it blossoms in the spring ?
Your pictures are just beautiful, by the way !

Reaction score
The color of the berries is so intense. It is a beautiful plant but I never saw one before. Glad you reached a "compromise" and you kept that wonderful addition to your home.

Yes the color is very intense and I am glad as well.

Wow, that is gorgeous! I bet the birds love those berries :D

They eat them when everything else is gone. The berries last well into the season so they save them for last.

As soon as I saw your photos I recognized this bush rite off the bat. My mother has several of these growing around her home that she planted. I was always asking her what they were called so I'm so glad I know the name now. They are really beautiful bushes. Thanks for sharing! I learned something new.

That is great that she has so many! They are so pretty and they are very useful. The plant is actually good at keeping bugs at bay. I looked and found a recipe online for a bug soap using the bush!!!

Shelly, that is an absolutely awesome bush ! I have never even heard of it before, but if it grows there in NC, I should be able to grow one, too.
Are the berries edible, or just for the birds ?
What do the flowers look like when it blossoms in the spring ?
Your pictures are just beautiful, by the way !

The berries are good for jelly and wine making. You can eat them straight from the bush but they taste rather bitter. There is lots of info from this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautyberry and there is a picture of the flowers on the bushes. The picture is for the flower of the Bodinier's Beautyberry bush and not my bush but my bush has similar flowers but they are white normally. They do not last very long and they are not very noticeable. I will try to get a photo of them the next time it blooms. Thank you for the compliment.

Ask a Question