Country
United Kingdom
Is it Gina, didn't know that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
zigs, South African English is a lot closer to UK English than American. We even spell "properly".

My problem is that now that I've started writing on internet sites like HubPages I've been trying (foolishly) to use the American spelling because that seemed to be my Chrome browser's choice. Lately, however, it seems to accept either. The result is that I've become really confused. I'm also never quite sure what words will be misunderstood by my readers, especially quirks like the one I previously mentioned - robot for a traffic light. I know to avoid that one, but I'm never quite sure about some of the other words I use.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D I grew up with an American dictionary, so i've learned a few of the differences. Also only had the freebie first few editions of American Enclyopedias so I learned a lot about A to Arab:D

Tend to stick to English spellings unless its really unclear to who ever i'm talking to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Tend to stick to English spellings unless its really unclear to who ever i'm talking to.

I wish I'd done that to start with. But I tend to rely on the Chrome spell checker to look for typos, so if it wanted me to write American, that was what I did. Now if I change to the English spelling I'll get really confused if I have to edit old articles.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using Chrome, just trying something, Neighbours, Labour, Colour. Litre.

No, didn't pick any of those up, so must be set to English.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
After typing in both versions of those words and getting no errors I decided to check my settings. It lists both English (United States) and English, with US marked as my preference. I'm pretty sure I didn't change my settings so I'm not sure how that happened.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
After typing in both versions of those words and getting no errors I decided to check my settings. It lists both English (United States) and English, with US marked as my preference. I'm pretty sure I didn't change my settings so I'm not sure how that happened.

Je ne sais pas moi, aussi ? :D

Reaction score
This is what we'd class as a cookie in England,

http://chocolate.wikia.com/wiki/File:Chocolate_chip_cookies.jpg

And this is one type of biscuit,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_tea

These are ginger biscuits,

http://www.magentacakes.co.uk/blog/recipe-hand-baked-ginger-biscuits/

Hobnobs are biscuits too,

http://captious.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/better-than-smores/

The ideal biscuit is one you can dunk into tea without it breaking off before you get it to your mouth :D

When the packets are opened, we usually put them in a biscuit tin to keep them from going soggy.

Don't try to dunk or eat this type though,

http://www.thefiringline.co.uk/

LOL..you're a hoot, Zigs! The cookie/biscuit differentiation makes perfect sense. I'd say the British "biscuit" is more like a shortbread type cookie here. Your ginger biscuits would be called Ginger Snaps in the US.

Reaction score
Tea.

Brits take the tea bag out before serving the cup of tea, which is usually with milk & 2 sugars (but they will always ask if you take it with milk and sugar first)
=
Not in my experience! I take my tea black, no sugar, and I constantly had people hand me a cup of tea with milk and sugar - I learned if anyone asked if I'd like a cup of tea to answer "Yes, please, black" straight off. Then I only got a cup of tea with milk and sugar 50% of the time:confused:

There are subtleties and also quite outright differences. Australians have words they use frequently that may shock many others. I grew up when the word bloody was considered a swear word and was often used as an expletive and an adjective or adverb. Though the word bugger was often used and thought okay at the time.:confused: Even my mother would say well bugger me or I'll be buggered while bloody was a no no.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bugger
The differences in swear words can really mess you up. In Canada, fanny means butt, so I did not get the "fanny and the fridge" joke (don't ask, it's really really bad). I also shocked all my friends by saying bullocks to my Mom (Mum). It was ok, she's Canadian too, so she didn't even bat an eye.

pudding = desert (UK) but, pudding = custard (Canada)
lolly (UK) = sucker (Canada)
iced lolly (UK) = popsicle (Canada)
spanner (UK) = wrench (Canada)
aluminium (UK) = aluminum (Canada)
Hoody (Canada except Saskatchewan) = bunnyhug (Saskatchewan)
Just about in UK means you just managed to do it (Just about caught the train)
Just about in Canada means you just missed doing it

Reaction score
Appropriately this extends to plants and vegetables;

zucchini=courgette
eggplant=aubergine
cilantro=coriander

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Appropriately this extends to plants and vegetables;

zucchini=courgette
eggplant=aubergine
cilantro=coriander

A lot of things mentioned earlier in this thread seem fairly obvious to me, but when I hear names like cilantro used I get really confused. When I watch foreign cookery programmes on TV, I feel like I need an interpreter because they mention so many ingredients I've never heard of.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know about Cilantro or Sucker :)

Reaction score
I agree with Jed and TheCrazyPlantLady that the swear words in each language can really mess things up, with what are sometimes, some very amusing consequences, particularly with one word that the Americans and Canadians, sorry Jed don't know about the Australians, use in a totally different way from the English.

The word shit is classed as a swear word in England and is something that you would do in the privacy of the bathroom, whereas in The States and Canada means, rubbish, things, stuff and many more, therefore, the English would totally misinterpret the following

Grab your shit and leave with it (US) meaning Pick up your things and go (UK)
Whats this shit in my pocket (US) = Whats this rubbish doing in my pocket (UK)
Get your shit off the table (US) = Move your things off the table (UK)

There are many more, which I have to say never fail to amuse me.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We'd find it offensive, but we could work out what it meant :D

Reaction score
:oops: Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I just thought you might find it amusing - my sincerest apologies.

However, what I had also meant to say, when posting the offensive post, but was in a bit of hurry, was that I thought this thread was great and reading through it was enough to brighten anyones day, it certainly brightened mine.

Ask a Question