American Apples

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Living in the tropics, I have never seen an American apple tree here. Is it because of the climate? I tried planting seeds when I was younger but they didnt grow. However, those seeds were processes seeds from the fruit itself that I bought in the supermarket. Would it be any different if I tried the seeds from the fruit when it is freshly picked?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It is definitely your climate. Apples need a certain number of "cold days", and Jamaica just wouldn't qualify. We are limited in the kinds we can grow here in central Texas for the same reason--just not enough days below a certain temperature to allow us to grow lots of apples.
On the bright side, you have so many lovely fruits there, you don't really need apples!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Even here in Virginia, the apples grow mostly in the mountain areas. Areas that are in the Piedmont, or along the coast can not grow apples, or they don't grow well. Once you get above a certain elevation here though the apples grow fine. I would not try them even where I live. I just don't think they would prosper.

Ask a Question