A 16 year old photo that foreshadowed my future

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was an endearing picture of a young lady that would become a future gardener/farmer and love fruit trees.

Who knew that I would still be here in 16 years-- still admiring fruit trees on the same property. It's almost as if this 16 year old photo foreshadowed my future.
If I recall correctly, this is a picture of me at the age of nine. I am standing beside a white blossoming Plum tree. It must have been a warm spring day. Here I am enjoying the scent of the plum blossoms, and admiring all the blooming fruit trees in our yard.
At one point, my family had several plum trees, pears, cherry trees, peaches, grape vines, and maybe other fruiting plants growing in the yard. These old fruit trees are gone now because my family cut them all down (several years after this photo was taken), in an effort to level the ground and put a house in the backyard. This never happened, and instead all of the fruit trees were cut down in vain. The ones that remain are a Peach tree and an Apple tree that are probably 30+ years old. They still fruit, of course, but I am not sure they have much life left.

And looking forward into the future, 16 years later, I am growing fruit trees on the same property. Where the ground was leveled and intended for a house, I am growing a big garden. On the property, I have 2 plums, 2 pears, 3 figs, 2 peaches, 2 nectarines, 1 cherry, and 20 pawpaw trees with additional berry bushes, grape vines, walnuts, and a hundred hickory trees. I continue to add fruit trees and fruiting bushes every spring and summer. My intention is to grow a beautiful food forest that feeds me, my family, friends, the animals, and others in need.

Original post @ A 16 year old photo that foreshadowed my future
-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Really lovely photo Cassie, very cheery and warm and a great testament to your gardening passion.:love:
We have several very old fruit trees on our place. Apparently the whole area was originally an orchard. We have been here over 30 years and the plum trees used to bare a lot of fruit but not so now. I used to make lovely plum jam and stewed fruit but now lucky to get a few to eat, especially after the parrots and cockatoos have a feast. I have to be quick to beat them.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
What a great photo to treasure to help document you, and your property's, history. I LOVE your idea for the food forest! Do you have any photos of it now? My husband and I continue to add to our trees and plants every year as well but nowhere near as advanced as your plans. Maybe I need to think bigger. :)

Reaction score
Lovely! I love the way older pictures used to look, I have a lot of those unfiltered, completely untouched yet so beautiful and magical. Thanks a lot for sharing, I'm glad to hear you are exactly where you want to be, and you are doing what you love. That is what really matters, I hope I can say the same about myself after 16 or 20 years, but odds are I might not even be around. Really beautiful :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love that photo. It is amazing how our lives are sometimes planned out for us. I remember that my mom and I used to go pick fruit from a free orchard that was on the Navy base. We have not been there for years, but I remember that we used to get bags and bags of pears, apples, and plums. It is sure a nice memory.

Reaction score
What a great photo to treasure to help document you, and your property's, history. I LOVE your idea for the food forest! Do you have any photos of it now? My husband and I continue to add to our trees and plants every year as well but nowhere near as advanced as your plans. Maybe I need to think bigger. :)
Well, I have photos of parts of the yard/property, but I don't have a landscape photo that shows you the whole property. I will make that happen, though, because I would love to have a before and after picture...or even a photo of me next to one of our young plum trees beside this 16 year old photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its really great that you sill have the pic, now you can pass it down to the younger family members.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Well, I have photos of parts of the yard/property, but I don't have a landscape photo that shows you the whole property. I will make that happen, though, because I would love to have a before and after picture...or even a photo of me next to one of our young plum trees beside this 16 year old photo.

Maybe you could take several photos and create a collage with them? Could make for a beautiful keepsake and something fun to share.
I have a large aerial photograph of a farm my parents owned when I was a baby. It hangs in my living room. I was just a baby when they lived there but my parents still shared so many memories in stories that they told that I treasure that photo. I can look down at different areas and really picture events that took place and imagine life there. I'd dearly love to have another aerial photo of this property, which my parents purchased back in 1976 so we have plenty of roots and memories here as well. Maybe we should both look into aerial photography. I wonder what it would cost ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is so fun to look back at old photos of the family and see them doing what you love to do now. My parents were never farmers, but it is nice to look at other people's photos are their farming past. There is a whole different world out there of people who create the things that we enjoy today like food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a treasure picture Cassie! White blossom plum tree is so beautiful and looks like snow, almost! You're destined to be a gardener :)

Ask a Question