3rd year gardener from Joplin MO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to introduce myself. Recently decided to start drawing SS along with my wife and are loving it. This is my 3rd summer of having a garden. My wife says I have lost my tomato lovin mind after I dedicated our garden to 29 heirloom tomato plants this year. Picked my first of the season this last Tuesday (7) which is the earliest since gardening.
Been married 37 years, 3 adult children and 8 grandkids. Life is good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! We are retired also, with a small farm and vegetable, herb, and flower gardens, a small flock if hens, and bee hives. Retired? Not really . . . .
Keep us updated on your tomato progress, and any other gardening projects you have. This is a friendly place with some fantastic gardeners!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! We are retired also, with a small farm and vegetable, herb, and flower gardens, a small flock if hens, and bee hives. Retired? Not really . . . .
Keep us updated on your tomato progress, and any other gardening projects you have. This is a friendly place with some fantastic gardeners!

Thank you for the welcome. My tomato plants are outgrowing their cages so I am going to add some 8' stakes and tie them up. I may end up having to top them before all said and done.
I built a raised 9'x36' garden that is about 15" deep, covered it with weed fabric and cut X's to plant. So far no disease on any, nor any insect problems (knocks on head). I have been fertilizing with Tomato Tone, fish emulsion, liquid kelp and a little Epsom Salts about every 10 days.

I also removed all of the lower limbs up to the first fruit clusters to reduce and soil splash back. I really enjoy the no weeding aspect. My old back doesn't like a whole lot of that.

Ask a Question