Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today is a bucket / container hunting day!

alp, if there are bakeries or delis nearby, you might be able to get free buckets there. At least, here, you could. :unsure:

At the bakery, flour and frosting/icing comes in a bucket. The delis get various salads in buckets. They're food-safe, so they're safe for plants, just need drainage holes drilled. Might not be the prettiest planter... but I know how you like "FREE!!" :p :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @alp any good bargains today?
I absolutely detest shopping, if I had my way I would do most of it online. One thing I have never, ever understood......window shopping !!!! If I want a walk then I would go somewhere nice and scenic :)

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
alp, if there are bakeries or delis nearby, you might be able to get free buckets there. At least, here, you could. :unsure:

At the bakery, flour and frosting/icing comes in a bucket. The delis get various salads in buckets. They're food-safe, so they're safe for plants, just need drainage holes drilled. Might not be the prettiest planter... but I know how you like "FREE!!" :p :LOL:

Haha, fancy you would say that, @MaryMary ! When I went up to the Turkish cafe to get my coffee grounds and egg shells, I saw Amber holding a big bucket. I nearly wanted to ask. But I didn't. Any way, I am surrounded by rain, but not a drop on where I live! So the panic is over. So much for the neon blue and lemony yellow frightful colours and warnings, it's another disappointment. I'm really dreading it as I live in the hottest spot in the country!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, there you go!! You can kill two birds with one stone! Ask if you can have any empty buckets, and they can save you coffee grounds and eggshells in the bucket. You already asked about the grounds and shells, what's one more thing? (y) :D

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @alp any good bargains today?
I absolutely detest shopping, if I had my way I would do most of it online. One thing I have never, ever understood......window shopping !!!! If I want a walk then I would go somewhere nice and scenic :)

I bought a helenium for £3 and the name Short and Sassy and I said to myself, "Hello, that's a familiar name!" I think I had it last year. Any way, I need to plant it in the soil and take some cuttings and once they are established place in a sheltered area. I hate the idea of buying. I nearly got a very tall yellow rudbeckia, but one stem for £3.65. The price is OK, but one stem is a bit dodgy. I love @Mark56 's Agastache Coral Kudo and saw a coral colour one there. But instead of being smothered with flowers, it had sporadic lonely flowers here and there! I was holding it all the time walking around and a staff member there was suddenly extremely friendly. In the end, I decided against it. I spent £3 on Short and Sassy, but it has tons of shoots and nearly 10 flowers! Also I bought a reduced £2 of flowers introduced by Mark Lane in his container planting, but mine is like some pink confetti, not magenta like his. Can't

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there you go!! You can kill two birds with one stone! Ask if you can have any empty buckets, and they can save you coffee grounds and eggshells in the bucket. You already asked about the grounds and shells, what's one more thing? (y) :D

I haven't been there a long time and now my garden is full of woodchips - no space for coffee or egg shells. Actually, I might do that as my dahlias have been nibbled by you know who! Good idea, @MaryMary ! Wish to see you more often though. You and @marlingardener are part of us .. You know we are inclusive and welcoming, don't you! :eek::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another funny thing is that when I was in a nursery, I suddenly heard this woman talking about Eternal Fragrance and I went, "OOOOoooops! I must go back to Homebase as I promised myself that I would buy the Daphnes there!" Then, I said to myself - You should have listened to @MaryMary and used a book to record all the dates and used it as an aide memoire!

After rushing around Basildon to Honchurch, I was dsappointed to find them all gone! :banghead::banghead::banghead:! Too mean. Those were proper plants, much better than those charged £4 but with one tiny stem in the posh nurseries.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Grounds and shells are very fine, and can easily be stirred in with the wood chips! ;) The grounds will add nitrogen, (albeit slowly) and that can counteract the wood chips, which slowly leach nitrogen. Win-win situation!! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size containers are you after alp ?
If you have any decent Indian restaurants near you they will buy ghee in 25ltr tubs they struggle to get rid of the tubs sure they will be happy for you to have them as a sweetener ask for 20 of there menus and say you will hand them out to your friends
Worked for me ;-)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What size containers are you after alp ?
If you have any decent Indian restaurants near you they will buy ghee in 25ltr tubs they struggle to get rid of the tubs sure they will be happy for you to have them as a sweetener ask for 20 of there menus and say you will hand them out to your friends
Worked for me ;-)

I will definitely have a word with the restaurant up the road. We have everything here - Indian restaurant, Turkish, cafes x 2, funeral parlour, .. hehe! Drug store/factory, too!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Funny thing is I don’t even know 20 people never mind 20 friends lol :)

You know @MaryMary is telling me to tell a porkie! :D There are friends and friends .. I should be very scared if I had too many good friends - either they twist their opinions for me or vice versa. Let's put it this way, I'm too fussy and judgemental to have "friends". :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question