alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all and to MaryMary

This reminds me, I must keep some seeds from my sugarsnaps I bought yesterday and grow them. I love the fleshy sweetness of sugarsnaps. Logan, snapdragons are a weed here in Essex. But I remember seeing a dark red ones in RHS Hyde Hall and they took my breath away. They were set off with some black/scarlet sedum and aeonium which was very glossy .. Fantastic.

s-l300.jpg

images

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Britain's hedgehog crisis: Wildlife experts warn animals are in 'severe decline' as numbers drop from 1.5m to just 750,000 in more than 20 years.

Worrying trend!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Britain's hedgehog crisis: Wildlife experts warn animals are in 'severe decline' as numbers drop from 1.5m to just 750,000 in more than 20 years.

Worrying trend!
Some of the problem is people digging up their front gardens to put more cars on them. I know why they do it. That's probably why these new builds don't have any gardens and they try to build as many houses as they can. Anyway it's our fault that it's happening. I've seen a few around here, but not as many.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! You've seen a few. I have never seen a live one in my garden. They are so cute.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they are, when Barley see's one he wants to get near to it and he always remember where it was the next time. My mother in law made a house for them once for the winter made out of hard board, i think they used it but in the spring ants took over so i didn't keep it.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I am sure I have is rats, hedgehogs I am not sure. Nice of you MIL to make a house for them. Did the hedgehog scamper when Barley went near them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!
What a lovely bright one it is too!
We are off in a short while to enjoy a 4 mile walk over to my Dad's, that should brush away the cobwebs and oil my joints!:D:ROFLMAO:

We see the occasional Hedgehog, but sadly it's getting to be a rarity now:(,
The main problem is that so many people have enclosed their gardens using brick walls or fencing and the Wildlife Trust have said that this limits their ability to roam larger areas and subsequently this has a negative effect on their ability breed :(.
We have only a tiny portion of fencing up by our greenhouse, the rest of our garden in enclosed by hedging.(y)

Well have a Wonderful Wednesday everyone:D

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I am sure I have is rats, hedgehogs I am not sure. Nice of you MIL to make a house for them. Did the hedgehog scamper when Barley went near them?
Sometimes they'll stay still and wait for us to go past. Yes you're right @Upsy Daisy we've got a gap under the gate so they can get in. Up the road a couple have made enough space for foxes and badgers can get in.

Reactions: alp
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all a lovely sunny day but was a bitter cold night with heavy frost ,We get hedgehogs regular which I feed every night with cat food ,3 the most at one time there was one baby last year ,You will notice there poo ,if you have them on a regular basis ,I cut holes in the fences when we moved here , We are getting new neihbours who are busy renovating have not moved in yet but have talked to them mentioned hole in fence and hedgehogs not to fill in he was happy with that ,hope he’s a gardener?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent news Zenj :)Wish my neighbours were more co-operative like that.. made a compromise with one lot as it has allowed their cats access too in exchange for the hogs free roaming. Saw some hedgehog poop below the feeders this week so they are probably living off the discarded peanuts so will put cat biscuits back out - far more nutritious for them & I worry hogs will choke like baby birds on the nuts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom

Worrying trend!
The key is in the name when it comes to encouraging hedgehogs into your garden. Hedges are the ideal place for them to sleep under and move from garden to garden ...........Fences on the other hand, Are a Barrier to there movement & offer no protection from the cold in winter .................If you look at the decline of Hedges it is parallel with the decline of the Hedgehog. At the same time we need more compost Heaps and less pesticides which kill the hogs and the food they eat(y) fix all that and they will come:)..............................O yes and maybe a few hedgehog crossings!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha! Hedgehog crossings! I might fashion a hole now that we have planted one wall. That wall is a lost cause, but I will ask son to make a gap where the compost heap will be. Planted up 4 nasty hollies and 2 roses and I am sure it will be fragrant in that corner. The purpose rose is now 5 feet tall again, having been pegged down by me. It's a vigorous grower. The fragrance is incredible.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crumbs! I know it sounds bad! Wonder if anybody can take a pic of hedgehog poos and upload them here. To tell the truth, I don't think I have hedgehogs living here. @Zenji what food do you prepare for them please? I will fast and bought some! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question