Not open for further replies.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished the walks,didn't need my hat again.Sit down and watch the ice skating on iPlayer, think it's the free dance.
I'm not looking forward to the cold weather.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hate winter, especially soggy one and cold ones. I have had a lot of dead plants in the lean to. Only tidied up the streptocarpus and quite a few of them bit the dust.

I told you earlier that I have a yellowish snowdrop - could be Primrose Warburg. But it was far away from the other bulb. I thought it was buried by something and the insufficient sunshine left it yellow.

Here it is! It might be a different colour tomorrow. But I have returned it to its fold.
SAM_0042.JPG

Can you see the neck - a bit between yellow and green.

I couldn't resist this.
SAM_0045.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Seed sowing time - this video might be useful .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been GC, getting the raspberries didn't go well, none of the variety I wanted, might see if I can go to the nursery tomorrow and have a look there for just raspberries :sneaky: maybe a white astantia as well :D.

Picked these up today
DSC00001.JPG
2 pots of busy lizzie - 1 pot of begonia - scented leaf geranium - aaron pilot spuds - gladioli - 3 dahlias fascinastion / senior hope / edge of glory .

What seeds have you sow Alp ? I had a few germinate in the last couple of days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice collection, Perki ! I have some potatoes somewhere in the garden. When I bought reduced to 38p or 50p and when they tasted really nice, I would chuck them in a bin, a bag and now I have 2 with potatoes in them. As I could get them so cheaply, I don't want to grow them. Besides, son's not keen on spud. Rice, yes! Spud, umm..

I haven't started really yet, @Perki ! I collected a pure yellow iris last year and just let them stew in a polystyrene tray, thinking it might be ages before I could see anything. In the end, my lean-to was choc-a-block and I could get to water any of those at the extremities .. Well, laziness was the real reason. Ah, I've got another excuse. Crippling knees .. When I tried to clear the area, I suddenly saw some familiar blades. Out of 6 seeds, one such had come up and said HELLO!:eek::D:LOL:! I quickly despatched it to the sunniest and hottest part in my garden - the 4 inches little patch adjacent to neighbour's wall and now all the irises I have planted there seem to be saying thank you to me. They are jolly happy there!

I wouldn't dare do any seeds. Most of the cuttings from late winters are dying or being attacked by bugs. I will take them out and fleece them next week. The stagnant air in the lean to has not been doing any of them any good. I potted up my dahlias about 1 month ago and about 5 of them have shoots. I'm going to cut the shoots together with a bit of mother tuber and plants up as new plants. I did it last year and have been very lucky to have been able to add to my stock. I think you can do the same to your tubers. I have the same top dahlia - Edge of joy or Ice and fire or ..Caribbean Fantasy..

I have bought up loads of reduced pots @£1.99 A pure white foxgloves, an rusty yellow foxgloves, a Midnight star (agapanthus - I'm praying it is to be the most sinister of BLACK blue!). Astrantia, Dicentra King of hearts which has flowers rising above the foliage and helenium piquesqueak. Just describing them excites me. Hahaha! I am crazy! :LOL:

upload_2018-2-19_19-25-30.png

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Perki I've sown snapdragons and ergeron. 6 cucumbers,i'll do some more, a lot of parsnips but they haven't come up yet. Some I did 4 weeks ago, had to put them in the propergater. I won't sow anything else until half way into next month.
I don't sow too early because of light levels. My concervatory hasn't got a glass roof and it's flat.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Logan et al! You've done well, Logan. I have seeded my apple as one of the pips had already germinated. I want to grow a few and then use them as root stocks.

It's raining, but mild. Already, I'm dreading next week. All this Sudden stratospheric warming business, compounded by the beast from the east .. Just thinking of it gets me worried about my plants shivering. This just doesn't help flowering!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All, thanks. That's great about your apple pips. Will they be alright for root stock?
Yes the weather does worry us. Hope everything will be alright for you.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now, you've got me worried. I've learned it from this American on youtube. Hope it works. Yes, what if they shoot up like a normal apple tree?

Is it too cold to plant out foxgloves? I have 2 reduced plants. Normally, they grow in all the wrong shady places.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary How's your car? Have you started your new job yet?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You'll just have to wait and see what they're like when they grow. If they grow strong it should be alright.

If you've got the foxgloves indoors,harden them off first. If they're outside yes it will be alright. As long as the ground isn't frozen.

Reactions: alp
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all the sun is shining after lots of rain the gardens are soaked so no chance of doing anything yet .

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question