Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a cold day. The kitchen thermometer reads only 19c. Normally, it says 21. So I can tell it's cold. Sun is trying to come through. I have tons of salad leaves, pak choi and fennel in the lean to. Should I plant them out? In the lean to, they look anaemic, but if planted outside, there will be persistent SS attacks.

The lilies in the pot are a sad story. Bought the pack reduced in Summerhill and potted them up and forgot about it altogether. When I pulled the pot out, the plants were stunned with 2 flowers showing. Sad, they could have been so beautiful!
SAM_0421.JPG
SAM_0422.JPG

Water melons have just germinated in the polystyrene cup and north of that are the cucumbers
SAM_0423.JPG

Reckon I have to plant out my fennels! Will repot the cucumber in bigger pots. They will enjoy the warmth in the lean to. When it hits 22c, they might scream from the heat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning @Logan @alp and co.
Shaping up to be a nice day here once again pity I have to go to work but hey ho gardens as all hobbies need cash at some point be it little or be it a lot...I have projects to finish.:LOL:
Sun or Rain I will be out there at some point and seeing as I will most likely be addressing the grass issue then a little rain will come in handy to water in the weed/feed.
The cuc are really a little small in the greenhouse to attempt to harden off before going outside I usually grow them up a cane to about 2 feet tall before letting them loose.The tomato plants are comming on a pace and I'm pinching out side shoots almost ever other day and removing bottom leaves.
I planted some sensitive plant seeds (Mimosa pudica) so we'll see how these come on if at all lol.
How long should Nasturtium, Hollyhock and Lupin seed take to germinate and also Aquilegia...if anyone knows please inform me....Sweet Pea have all germinated and hopefully they will make a nice cascade in the wall and window boxes...Enjoy your day peeps..only 8 more hours to go and I can retire to the garden once more...Need to stock up on some wine though...an essential garden ingredient...it makes me see things in the garden I wouldn't otherwise see :ROFLMAO:...Regards C

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering how BigC could be speechless. Good morning to us all chatterboxes!:cool::cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, gardening certainly needs funds. I have now sown about 10 small trays of salad leaves and pak Choi. Two days ago, a decent serving of Pak Chois, but would love them to be of restaurant standard size. Well, I am going to add one more fabric planter outside tomorrow and put my fennels and some more salad outside. It's so cold that the fabric planter is still under a fleece. They shouldn't take long to germinate. But hollyhocks don't like nice as dephiniums. I would go for delphiniums. When B&Q have them reduced, it's the best time to stock up. Lupins not half as good as salvias .. I guess I will be swinging on one of BigC's hanging baskets soon! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Catching up with The Beechgrove Garden. BigC why not meconopsis, triliums, snowdrops??? erythroniums??

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I'd leave the Pak choice inside, because of the SS.When i grew lettuce outside i put them in a large container and covered them with fleece, put string around the outside of the pot just below the rim to make it secure. Shame about your lillies. Cucumbers will be alright with the heat. I have to watch the sun with the chilli plants, it shrivels the young growth.

Reactions: alp

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Won't be doing much weeding for a few days, my backside is hurting from stooping down a lot from the last week.

Got some housework to catch up with, vaccing and iron hubby's shirts.:(

Pick some more rhubarb.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The area I have the lettuce on was where I used to use the incinerator. I don't think the SS would like to venture there. The lettuce are still under wrap. I would leave the cucumber in. By the look of it, my Birds of Paradise won''t flower this year. :eek::eek::cry::cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
would go for delphiniums. When B&Q have them reduced, it's the best time to stock up. Lupins not half as good as salvias .. I guess I will be swinging on one of BigC's hanging baskets soon! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Catching up with The Beechgrove Garden. BigC why not meconopsis, triliums, snowdrops??? erythroniums??
I did wonder about Delphiniums when choosing Lupin and Hollyhock for some height along the garden fence...might pick some up as you say. Salvia is definately on the cards as is Pak Choi...I'm sick of planting specimen plants into containers I would much rather them be into "real soil"...I do need more flowers though and I guess this is me trying to address this fence for colour by planting height at the back and gradually working my way forward..but they have yo be plants/flowers that will come back year on year and without too much fuss..I've enough to do in other areas lol

I build my gallows high @alp your feet wont even touch the ground :LOL::LOL::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Won't be doing much weeding for a few days, my backside is hurting from stooping down a lot from the last week.

Got some housework to catch up with, vaccing and iron hubby's shirts.:(

Pick some more rhubarb.

Oh, dear! Prefer gardening to ironing though! Ironing is now my son's business. No longer my domain. Need to move the 7 feet bamboo shoots outside. Keep my finger crossed that they live.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! Prefer gardening to ironing though! Ironing is now my son's business. No longer my domain. Need to move the 7 feet bamboo shoots outside. Keep my finger crossed that they live.
Thanks but i'll be alright beginning of next week.Yes i prefer gardening but hubby is running out of shirts, poor thing.;)

How long have you had your bird of paradise?
Why have you got bamboo inside?

Yes your son has to learn to do things, like mine had to the hard way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The area I have the lettuce on was where I used to use the incinerator. I don't think the SS would like to venture there.

My grand father used to grow his rhubarb on a large curved banking, it grew out at all angles giving a bumper crop but what he did was using cold ash and cinders from the fireplace to top dress ..you know I never ever seen a chew'd leaf or tatty foliage on those stalks..there may be something in there "old" ways...(we do have a multi-fuel stove so I may look into this a little more) Could this be a good form/deterrant against the dreaded SS storm-troupers ??? worth investigation

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I did wonder about Delphiniums when choosing Lupin and Hollyhock for some height along the garden fence...might pick some up as you say. Salvia is definately on the cards as is Pak Choi...I'm sick of planting specimen plants into containers I would much rather them be into "real soil"...I do need more flowers though and I guess this is me trying to address this fence for colour by planting height at the back and gradually working my way forward..but they have yo be plants/flowers that will come back year on year and without too much fuss..I've enough to do in other areas lol

I build my gallows high @alp your feet wont even touch the ground :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Get a variegated weigela and put it in a big pot. Yesterday, I had a hell of a job getting rid of elder left by the previous owner yesterday and I still haven't finished. Go for evergreen and height and I reckon @Perki will suggest some for you. I always want to put plants into the ground as that way, the plants can free range and I don't feel so cruel. But fruit trees and shrubs will have to be in pots as I need to move with them. Even snowdrops are now in pots with holes (aquarium pots). BigC go for salvia amistad, Blue and Black, hotlips (must be in pot or you will want to kill me), Blue variety. Do you have B&Q or Homebase? Buy them when they are reduced. I usually get them for £2. Also buy lobelias perennials. One pot became 13 yesterday and I paid £2 or £3 for it. Go to posh GCs and look for reduced corners, you won't regret it as long as it is not called Wyevale! Also go for a big pot size. I had an agapanthus in 5L pot for £1.99 and now I have 3 pots. Ta-ra!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Variegated weigela looks cool.
Yeah I need some height first to give some colour to the gaps between the trees along the fence...they will be semi sheltered by the trees so will be afforded some respite from wind etc.I have lupin and hollyhock still to germinate...why put Salvia in a pot is it invasive??

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
hotlips only. The others that I like no. Salvia amistad have a bit of height. Also, buy stipa gigantea. Tall as 4 to 5' and yet filters the light, elegant and architectural. Instead of lupin, why not agapanthus? My lupins attracts SS and they look so passées! You could plant some dahlias. Some dinner plates are rather tall. I don't even mulch mine. They will be up soon as I have seen green shoots already. But you might have SS problems. Put them in pots and they will sing for you. Frosted tip looks stunning.

Look, @DeborahJane has just posted her glorious amistad

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/striking-as-in-stunning-salvia.14211/

Wow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A nice blue Agapanthus would look good as well
So many nice plants there @alp to choose from...at least you have broadened my horizons if nothing else...I will look out for some or all of these in the months ahead..Thank you

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question