2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone.

Wow! What a sight that was too @alp !! I've never seen pics before of it freezing up.

Not sure what I'm up to today. Loads of bulbs are emerging now , this is always an uplifting and promising sight.:) So think I will definitely tidy up some of the borders and remove some leaves that the recent winds have swept into heaps in the corners.

Then I must check over the overwintering plants in the coldframes and greenhouse. Well thats sounds like a plan, so that will do ! :D

Hoping your Monday isn't Mundane :)(y)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just got my 2 propergaters down. The small one I've got 4 tomato plant cuttings that i did before Christmas. I just put them in water until roots started to grow,then potted them up.
The bigger one I'm going to warm up 2 small bags of compost for a week
I've got some rocket seeds that i can sow and eurigeron i can start now, in the next week.
IMG_20180108_084557.jpg

IMG_20180108_084544.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Saw some propagator reduced to £7 in Homebase. So tempted but I had the feeling that the lid was not of sturdy built. Nowadays, they used flimsy plastic instead of the hardened one. Washed the dirt and grime off the canna leaves:eek::LOL:. So black and sooty in the lean to. All because of the condensation and mold.

Logan your tomatoes have kept well.

@Upsy Daisy It's going to be cold if you venture out. Thick shoes and thermal gloves might be needed. AND A HEART OF STEEL!

It's going to be a grim day for the grime rIpper!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I know @alp :(:( I'm not the keenest of gardeners in winter......even on a good day.!!
But needs must................so I might;):D:ROFLMAO:
But watch this space.....my plans might change;)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity @Logan , what lid do you use to cover your toms with......they look quite tall?
Just put them in there.I didn't use the lid, just as they are. Thought that i should put them in the propergater for a bit of warmth. I have got a heated tray, didn't want to use that yet.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Saw some propagator reduced to £7 in Homebase. So tempted but I had the feeling that the lid was not of sturdy built. Nowadays, they used flimsy plastic instead of the hardened one. Washed the dirt and grime off the canna leaves:eek::LOL:. So black and sooty in the lean to. All because of the condensation and mold.

Logan your tomatoes have kept well.

@Upsy Daisy It's going to be cold if you venture out. Thick shoes and thermal gloves might be needed. AND A HEART OF STEEL!

It's going to be a grim day for the grime rIpper!:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Propergaters are so expensive. What was the original price? Can you look at the lid?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Talk about the grim reaper. Somebody we knew died just after Christmas. Just phoned our friend who has his own business selling pet foods. His partners mother died just before Christmas. It seems to be the worst time of the year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Propergaters are so expensive. What was the original price? Can you look at the lid?

About £19. Went out to the garden and took some pic , but it was so dark. I lifted the pot towards the sky and took one, but it's just hopeless.

When the weather is so cold, more deaths can be anticipated. What might surprise me is that these people are not more than 80 years old. Here in this country, people seem to live on forever! Hope they are all happy souls..

Trying to do some banking. The bank wouldn't let me transfer money out. Suspended account altogether. And in the advert, they should they wouldn't do this or that the other banks would do to you!:eek:

You can't blame me if I want to move my money away as they are only pay 3% whilst another one pays 5%!:eek::eek:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes people live to long then they need a lot of looking after.
You should change banks. Unless that's what you're trying to do.
Did you watch Logan's run. There was a series first, then they made a film.
People get to the age of 30, then they kill them,by putting them in a machine that turns them into dust.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@CanadianLori but they will live if you return them to your green house in winter.
:D)

My greenhouse is not heated in the winter. It is too expensive to do so and the temperatures in there go sub freezing for several weeks. Wish I could afford to run heat all through the cold weather but I haven't won the lottery yet :)

I'll hopefully come across some seeds when the weather improves.

It is snowing and has been for several hours so there certainly won't be much done outside today. I watered my indoor plants as usual. I do this while waiting for the kettle to boil for my first cuppa.

I will be driving to a nearby city today to file some affidavits and plan to visit a nursery on my way home. Hopefully they'll have some giant onion seeds as mine have all turned out to be duds and perhaps I'll see some other seeds that catch my fancy :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure you don't over-water in winter, Lori. There is no point heating greenhouse in deep frozen winter. It's like burning a hole in the pocket!

Ask a Question