2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone, yep frosty here too @alp.....but extremely pretty!!

Sounds good @Logan....do you have to wait to plant them or is it OK to plant out when cold and frosty?

Have a Sensational Saturday folks :D...wrap up warm!(y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is that your garden alp? Respect! :)
Cold morning. Sunny and dry though.
I erected my winter polytunnel yesterday to protect tender plants. GH full. I will cover a large group of plants with fleece too for the winter.
Usually frost isnt too much of a problem here.....at least not for long.....but better safe than sorry:)
Several tall grasses in the garden helping to give colour and shape ......miscanthus Cabaret is a focal point from my kitchen window right now.
Have a good weekend everyone:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Is that your garden alp? Respect! :)
Cold morning. Sunny and dry though.
I erected my winter polytunnel yesterday to protect tender plants. GH full. I will cover a large group of plants with fleece too for the winter.
Usually frost isnt too much of a problem here.....at least not for long.....but better safe than sorry:)
Several tall grasses in the garden helping to give colour and shape ......miscanthus Cabaret is a focal point from my kitchen window right now.
Have a good weekend everyone:)

Cheeky monkey! Hehe! Wish I could claim the credit.

Glad that you have erected a polytunnel. If I did that, neighbour's fireworks would make holes in it and probably cause a fire.. Judging from the weather chart .. it's so wise for you to be proactive.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

In case you're suffering from autumn (actually winter) blues ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's not winter until 1st December.;):D:ROFLMAO:
People have been putting the Christmas lights up on the outside of the their houses round our way, 5 so far.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know until Ben Rich in the weather report said the autumn had done a very good impression of winter i. e very cold. Put a tiny candle in the lean to to keep the temperature up. Ex was quite worried. I must say the warmth is minimal.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You could try a thermal mass,if you put a bucket full of water in there. It will warm up during the day and let out the heat at night. Also it will control the temperature during the day. I'm going to try it in my small lean-to greenhouse.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could try a thermal mass,if you put a bucket full of water in there. It will warm up during the day and let out the heat at night. Also it will control the temperature during the day. I'm going to try it in my small lean-to greenhouse.

Yes, I remember something like that. Someone put some hot water bottles in their greenhouse. That's safer than leaving a candle . Hehe!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning. I had the heater and light on in the lean to and it was 10c when I went out to check. Today, I will beef up the insulation bubble sheet and will put a hot water bottle in if I can find it. Now I have two tiny candles going after 4 attempts. Only one wall of the wall paper to go.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you bought you new TV, Logan?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Funny you should say that. At about 5.45 last night,i went to turn on TV, never have it on standby. It wouldn't come on, hubby was on computer in other room. I said the TV won't come on, something wrong with the button. He said perhaps it's the electric supply. He looked at the back and the plug had come out. He'd been at the back looking out of the window earlier. He joked and said it was me,i broke it. I was the last one to use it. I said it wasn't me it was you putting your big feet on it. Actually he has small feet for a bloke and only just over 5ft. I'm about the same height but a size 8 shoe and wide.Used to be 7 but doing all the walking they've got bigger. Our family have big feet and 2 Brothers are over 6 ft. No we are waiting for the price to come down, slowly going down.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Size 8 shoes! Whoa! I have only size 3 and can save a lot of money by buying kids' shoes. £10 for a pair of Temberland, so I bought 2.

I so want to buy a bigger one. I could never read the text on the screen - white on red background and the font wasn't even in bold. I just gave up reading them.

Ask a Question