2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So they are pink but taste like other blueberry! That's fine. Hope they taste sweet. Just topped up the soil What amount of sunshine do they need. Thought someone said it needed a bit of shade. Logan, what do you think?

Is it too late to take gooseberry cuttings? I bought a red one, but it is hidden somewhere. I might even buy another one from poundshop. Really full of flavour!

I never leave my machines on standby. No point paying for electricity 1/3 when not in use.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you make sure that they're really ripe.
Never should leave tumble dryers on standby. I always unplug mine when not using. We don't have our TV on standby, can save a lot of money when you don't. Should take hard wood cuttings from gooseberries in late autumn, but you could try it. Last year's growth is the best, older than that and they don't take. What you could do is stick the tip or the stem in the ground and the tip will grow roots. It's happened to mine without me knowing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's happened to mine without me knowing.

That's brill!

Just got hold of a parcel. Bought some camellias and watched several videos showing how to propagate and airlayer camellia. I will try that with the gooseberry. Stopped raining already. So disappointing. Rain has become lazy right over my spot. Always stops short.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all (just!:D)
How is everyone on this drib, drab grey damp Monday!

Not been too well last week, but now thankfully things are improving ,slowly but surely.........but I have been lurking in the background:D:ROFLMAO:

Doesn't seen that there is much to do in the garden at the moment apart from keeping it tidy. I am now looking back over last years pics to see what worked and what didn't, and planning this years summer bedding.............exciting times ahead:p:D:ROFLMAO:

Hope your Monday isn't too Murky :)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @ logan.....yes it was , p!us a couple of extra ones too:(

So love planning the sowings and sifting through my seed collections........really lifts and cheers me up......arhhhh springtime!:)
Not sure when I will start sowing. Have seedlings overwintering in the greenhouse and coldframes,all doing well except for the Sweet Peas....they have been eaten, not sure how as they are in a steel coldfame with a weighted top!

Normally I do start sowing early, but last year I couldn't as I was recovering from my op. And I must say I had a much better success rate in germination......and here for me is the best bit!!I:).....I didn't need to bring any seed trays into the house at all, or add any extra heat!!! (y)(y)

But I expect I will find it hard to resist the temptation this year!!!!

I must be srong, I must be strong :D:ROFLMAO::D

Enjoy your day too:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
.but I have been lurking in the background:D:ROFLMAO:

:D:D:D!

Hope you're feeling a bit better, @Upsy Daisy !

A rather strange sort of day - rained stopped with occasional minutes of sunshine and now it's raining again. When the sunshine was OK, took some pics of my snowdrop. Sorry the quality is really abysmal.

galBeatrix.jpg
SAM_0084.JPG
SAM_0086.JPG

Galanthus 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'

Ah, for once, I think I know the name.
It should look like this

upload_2018-1-15_17-28-23.jpeg
or this
upload_2018-1-15_17-28-35.jpeg

Also, found a double Ellen pink very happy even though it's raining

SAM_0088.JPG
SAM_0089.JPG
SAM_0087.JPG

Show us your spring bulbs or spring flowers please!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan: Thank you so much for your kind words.

I have got 2 indoor narcissus opening. They are fragrant and multi-head. Will take a pic tomorrow.

What pleases me most is that my ginger has sprang a stem. It rooted last year, but was left outside in the cold. Now next to the radiator pipes, it seems to be very happy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, everyone! I should have said about the snowdrop that £102 had been offered last time I saw it. It was the recessive gene that gave it the yellow colour!

Not so cold today. Had left a hot water bottle in the lean to and the candle extinguished itself middle of the night. It's a bit milder compared with the week before.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning. @alp going out today to get some dress making fabric and other things to go with it. I'm making a top, it's the largest pic.
IMG_20180116_074200.jpg

Got to do bias binding around the neck, haven't done that before,so it will be a challenge. I've got plan B if i can't do it, just put some lace around it instead. It would be easier but i'm going to try that first.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan That's very pretty and so youthful! Make sure you upload your work of art when finished.

Ask a Question