1st Time Gardener from United Kingdom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just moved into my new house in the countryside and I'm really excited about taking care of my new garden and growing a variety of plants. I've already bought 6 types of flower seeds, such as the Sunflower, Forget-Me-Not and Iceland Poppy, though I'm also interested in growing chilli peppers and cucumbers next winter. I found this community on a list of garden discussion websites and I hope to be able to keep my garden happy and share my own tips and advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That all sounds exciting, and a lovely part of the country with a good climate to be doing it in. How big is your garden, and how is it laid out? Think about which bits face which way, have a little dig about and find out what the soil is like, some bits may have been cultivated better or longer than others. Even if the garden is small it is good to get an overall picture in your head.
Forget-me-nots tend to self seed a lot. Do you run to a greenhouse for Cucumbers and chili? It is probably not essential where you are, especially in a good summer, but it would also probably help. Have a little read round the seed catalogs for ideas on which varieties you want. Thompson and Morgan's is entertaining, but take it with a pinch of salt.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you around.

Ask a Question