1st Year Apple Tree - From Bare Root Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have planted two different types of apple trees close to each other for pollination purposes. They both are watered and fertilized equally. The first tree i purchased and planted in early April, is a Red Gala Apple tree. That tree has been growing very well in my opinion, and have no issues other than some yellow spots on the leaves here and there. The other tree, is a Golden Delicious that i purchased and planted about a 1-2 weeks later. That tree took a very long time to come out of dormancy, i would say 2-3 weeks, and slowly sprouted leaves and new stems. Unfortunately, not much has happened in the last 3 weeks or so. The tree looks alive, but the leaves look like they are shriveled some, and some look as if they are burnt so to speak. I have provided pictures in hopes that i can help save this tree (if it needs saving).

The first pic that looks full and healthy is of the gala apple tree, the second of the golden delicious tree.

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• gala.jpg
    gala.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 149
  • golden delicious.jpg
    golden delicious.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have planted two different types of apple trees close to each other for pollination purposes. They both are watered and fertilized equally. The first tree i purchased and planted in early April, is a Red Gala Apple tree. That tree has been growing very well in my opinion, and have no issues other than some yellow spots on the leaves here and there. The other tree, is a Golden Delicious that i purchased and planted about a 1-2 weeks later. That tree took a very long time to come out of dormancy, i would say 2-3 weeks, and slowly sprouted leaves and new stems. Unfortunately, not much has happened in the last 3 weeks or so. The tree looks alive, but the leaves look like they are shriveled some, and some look as if they are burnt so to speak. I have provided pictures in hopes that i can help save this tree (if it needs saving).

The first pic that looks full and healthy is of the gala apple tree, the second of the golden delicious tree.

I’m from Jersey also. Where did you buy your trees? I really want to grow some fruit trees so I’ll be watching the response on how yours are doing and why the leaves are shriveled on the one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Different varieties grow at different rates. Be patient. I can't comment on the "shriveled" leaves because I can't see them but in most cases odd distortions of limbs and leaves on bare root trees is caused by root damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck, I attached a few pics for you to review. I'm being very patient, but as this is my first foray into gardening and fruit trees I just don't have the experience and have lots of questions! I do appreciate your help as well as anyone else who has in any of my posts. I'm learning alot :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_191145.jpg
    IMG_20190629_191145.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20190629_191151.jpg
    IMG_20190629_191151.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20190629_191207.jpg
    IMG_20190629_191207.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m from Jersey also. Where did you buy your trees? I really want to grow some fruit trees so I’ll be watching the response on how yours are doing and why the leaves are shriveled on the one.
The gala apple tree ( and peach tree) I bought at Costco believe it or not! The other fruit trees I bought from Stark Bros online. I purchased quite a few trees and some grape Vines from them and have been pleased with most of the purchases. Their customer service has been very satisfactory from my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The gala apple tree ( and peach tree) I bought at Costco believe it or not! The other fruit trees I bought from Stark Bros online. I purchased quite a few trees and some grape Vines from them and have been pleased with most of the purchases. Their customer service has been very satisfactory from my experience.
I can't be positive but I would say the leaf curl is caused by too much water. Has it rained a lot lately and does the soil stay wet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rained a few days in a row on and off last week. Soil stays a little damp, but is no different than where the other apple tree is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rained a few days in a row on and off last week. Soil stays a little damp, but is no different than where the other apple tree is.
I don't think it is a fungal issue nor a virus so that leaves environmental. I think all you can do at this point is just wait and watch. If anything changes please let us know.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Check out the Purdue University's four App suite of "Doctor" series. There is one titled "Tree Doctor" for less than $2.00. You MAY even be able to take pics of the leaves and send them in to Purdue although I'm not positive. It has been a while since I've used those. There is a "Tomato Doctor" and Apps for perennials and annuals as well, and all under $2.00 per App.

Ask a Question