1st Year Plum Tree - 2 in 1 (Self Pollinating)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a 2 in 1 Plum tree from StarkBros Online. It was a live tree, not a bare root. Planted it immediately, and soon leaves began to grow. After the initial set of leaves, nothing else has really happened. Tree was planted mid April. The other issue is what looks like some form of sap seeps out on the lower trunk from multiple areas. I noticed it is always worse after rain. From what i read online this may actually be gummosis? I have attached two pics. One of the tree and one of what i think may be gummosis. It eventually falls off or is maybe eaten, but starts up again.

I have a pear tree from StarkBros that is also a 2 in 1 planted in the same area, and that tree is thriving. Tree is fertilized and watered accordingly, and soil drains very well.

Please let me know if you think everything is ok with the tree, or if there is anything i can do to help it along. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• plum.jpg
    plum.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 202
  • gummosis.jpg
    gummosis.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like gummosis. I really doubt if it is caused by bacterial canker. I would say it was caused by mishandling thus damaging the bark. I think it will grow out of it. Just make sure the root flare is showing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck, would you say that the tree is planted too deep, and would need to be raised? Or do i just need to remove some dirt from the trunk?

Also, in terms of its development, you think everything is ok so far? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, would you say that the tree is planted too deep, and would need to be raised? Or do i just need to remove some dirt from the trunk?

Also, in terms of its development, you think everything is ok so far? Thanks.
I don't know as I can't see the base of the tree well enough to determine. You could remove the excess soil but it would just wash back in and it would be a never ending thing. Google root flare. There are many pictures as to what your tree's base should look like. The gummosis should stop in time. It looks as if someone held the plant at the point of the gummosis and damaged the tender bark.

Ask a Question