Training a cross vine (1st year)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I germinated this cross vine (Eccremocarpus scaber Flame) from seed last year. This year they are 3 feet high and reaching my first lateral wire.
my question: I have 3 main vines about 5/16” thick. I am a longtime accomplished gardener, but new to vining plants.
To me it seems I should eliminate 2 of the 3 main vines to make the one grow thicker & taller.
ideas/suggestions?
thanks ahead

Attachments

• B1A61E6D-EA73-469B-B18A-CCEBF2594F41.jpeg
    B1A61E6D-EA73-469B-B18A-CCEBF2594F41.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a crossvine on the fence separating out back and front yards. We just let it do what it wants and it has two main trunks. Most vines will take care of themselves. Keeping them controlled is more difficult than encouraging growth!
cross vine 4.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't got a clue what you call a ''crossvine'' - unless it's like this
1626033956195.png
but here I have only grown eccremocarpus as an annual, as our winters are not very kind. It seeds very very profusely and then grows really fast. I heartily agree with @marlingardener and would let this plant go it's own way, and I don't think it would take kindly to being interfered with.

Welcome to the forums @GreenThumbHooman :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are a couple errors in the OP of this thread.

First and foremost, the photo identified as Eccremocarpus scaber in the OP is actually a Hibiscus, probably a form of Swamp Rosemallow (Hibiscus moscheutos ssp. lasiocarpos) or a hybrid.

Eccremocarpus scaber is not pictured. Also, it is not commonly known as Cross Vine or Crossvine.
Instead, Chilean Glory Vine (Eccremocarpus scaber) is an evergreen vine, in the Trumpetvine Family (Bigoniaceae), native to Argentina, Chile, and Peru, with flowers that vary from yellow to red. The cultivar name, E. scaber 'Flame', likely refers to an orange or red flowered form.

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) is pictured in the second post. It is a semi-evergreen vine native to the southeastern and central United States. It is also the first described, type species for both the genus Bignonia, and the entire Trumpetvine Family (Bigoniaceae),

Ask a Question