Zucchini - mushy flower end

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've noticed on some of my zucchini when they are dropping the flower the ends are getting mushy.. and inch or two from flower tip down. They are growing fine and taste great but I hate losing a few inches off each one. I've never had this happen in years past. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? Its been very hot and wet this year compared to the past few summers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've noticed on some of my zucchini when they are dropping the flower the ends are getting mushy.. and inch or two from flower tip down. They are growing fine and taste great but I hate losing a few inches off each one. I've never had this happen in years past. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? Its been very hot and wet this year compared to the past few summers
What is sounds like is either blossom end rot or the flower was not pollinated. How big are the fruits when this happens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
probably around 8 inches
Well that leaves out a pollination problem. Here in Texas when this happens it is caused by the plant not taking up enough phosphorus and the remedy is to use Epsom salt. I have had this happen to squash in the past but rarely. Here it usually manifests on tomatos and sometimes the tomatos are full size when the rot appears

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
would it be better to add it to the soil at the base of the plant for make up the spray with a tablespoon mixed into a gallon of water? The plant is HUGE and healthy with lots of flowers/fruits on it. I'd say maybe half are having issues as they mature

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
would it be better to add it to the soil at the base of the plant for make up the spray with a tablespoon mixed into a gallon of water? The plant is HUGE and healthy with lots of flowers/fruits on it. I'd say maybe half are having issues as they mature
On a plant that big I would sprinkle a copious amount of ES, at least 2 cups, around the base of the plant and water it in.
Before you do this do a CLOSE inspection around the base of the plant and under the stems. Look for stink bugs and another beetle that is long, slender and a light dusty gray color with a long probiscus looking thing for a nose. I remembered these symptoms on yellow straight necks a few years ago so I just went back through my journals and in 1992 the cause was that beetle that I hadn't seen before or since. It only attacked mature fruits that were almost ready for harvest. The squash was soft and discolored to a color that I described as a wrinkled tan color. Blossom end rot on the otherhand is usually a dark brown to black although sometimes it is a light brown color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
no bugs and no mushy ends yet on the current ones. next one I get I'll post a pic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
no bugs and no mushy ends yet on the current ones. next one I get I'll post a pic
Please keep me informed. I have heard of similar things in Calif. but so far not in Texas. It could very well be a varietal issue

Ask a Question