Zucchini help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We did our first 4' x 4' raised bed this year and followed info on the internet for how many to plant per square foot. Based on the info we found, we ended up putting 2 zucchini in one square foot. I think they may be too close and we probably should have gone with just one plant. One looks ok and the other does not. What should I do with the not good one? Is there any chance of reviving it?

Attachments

• IMG_8450 (002).JPG
    IMG_8450 (002).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 201
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We did our first 4' x 4' raised bed this year and followed info on the internet for how many to plant per square foot. Based on the info we found, we ended up putting 2 zucchini in one square foot. I think they may be too close and we probably should have gone with just one plant. One looks ok and the other does not. What should I do with the not good one? Is there any chance of reviving it?
Zucs get BIG and will overshadow shorter plants. If I were to plant zucs or summer squash at minimum I would do 1 plant per every 2 sq ft.. Pull the unhealthy one up. It is weakened and will get either mildew or something just as bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey Chuck....do you think if I put the weakened zuc in a pot by itself it will revive?
It might but I would just plant a new seed. That plant is weak and will more than likely take longer to get well than it would to start over with a healthy plant from seed,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plants need to be 3 feet apart. You need pellet lime or wood ash to prevent blossom end rot. Plants don't live long it is good to plant new seeds every 4 weeks to keep new plants coming while other plants die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plants need to be 3 feet apart. You need pellet lime or wood ash to prevent blossom end rot. Plants don't live long it is good to plant new seeds every 4 weeks to keep new plants coming while other plants die.
Blossom End Rot is a phenomenon caused by the failure of a plant to uptake calcium.. In my part of the world it is extremely serious. I live in an area where the calcium levels in the soil are extremely high. My soil is very alkaline, every rock is limestone and for some reason plants are unable to uptake it. BER is rampant and without a means of changing the soil I would not ever have a tomato or cantaloupe or pepper. What is a PROVEN remedy for BER is Epsom Salts. Somehow it enables or changes the soil make up so as it enables the plant to uptake the calcium of which there is actually an overabundance. Somehow magnesium sulfate changes this. I do not know what ES does in acidic soils only that ES is a requisite here. Adding more lime or wood ash into alkaline soils is a sure way to guarantee failure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I lived in Arizona 9 years soil is 8ph and water is 8ph every plant in the garden gets BER, tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash. The calcium in the soil is locked up the plants can not use it but I found several things that work. Wood ash works good. Cement works good too mix with water then wait 5 days before pouring the water on the plants. Lime is not sold in AZ. Sheet rock mud works too but tomatoes taste gritty. Baking soda works but is too expensive bag of cement is $2 at Lowe's.

Ask a Question