Yucca Plant (Help)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what's going on with my Yucca plant. He's green on top but dying from the waist down lol.

The soil is dry to the touch. I watered it last week and it ripped through the water. I didn't think I was over watering but looks like root rot. Trying to figure out if he can be saved.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220425_192657.jpg
    20220425_192657.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220425_192652.jpg
    20220425_192652.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a photo of my Fiddler plant. I use the meter stick that tells PH level and Water as well as Light. But the PH won't get above 3.... I use N-P-K ratio 3-1-2 when I water. But still sticks around 2 and 3..

ALSO, sometimes a leave turns yellow and mucky and falls off but I'm told it's due to being behind a bigger leaf and not receiving the proper light. (I do turn it every few days and water weekly)

Lastly, one of the branches keeps leaning toward the sun. I've shaking it to strengthen the root (I read) , I rotate it and it still sticks out.. I'll add some other photos later.

But its waxy at the top and new growth .

I Just wanna make sure its not root bound in that huge heavy pot. Its been in there for about 2.5-3yrs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-191317_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-191317_Gallery.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Any ideas ? Repot and new soil?
It could be just normal aging, because it has been there a while. But then again it has been there a while, and has grown largererer. I suspect you have it in a cacti soil, if it is regular potting soil it can hold too much water when outdoors in a rainy period. Yucca has a pretty awesome root, a taproot, and a taller pot may be in order.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
Yuccas put down LARGE and deep roots...and it doesn't take them long. I don't see that pot as a sustainable way to keep your plant healthy. Can you plant it in-ground?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yuccas put down LARGE and deep roots...and it doesn't take them long. I don't see that pot as a sustainable way to keep your plant healthy. Can you plant it in-ground?
I was thinking about doing that however, we don't have a huge backyard where I could plant him in the ground . We have a huge tree outback and KM fearful it could get tangled up somehow.

The pot is HUGE , but I just wanted to ask the community why the PH level on the gage doesn't get higher then 2 or 3 . Because the plant is growing and their is new growth.

However, some leaves turn yellow and then fall off but I'm told it's because the other leaves are blocking those from sunlight ?

I water it weekly and put the NPK 3-1-2 ratio in it but it doesn't seem to increase the gage number got the PH.

But from the photo it looks healthy and green waxy, would you agree ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I don't fertilize mine. I do have to remove dead leaves once every year or two. Not sure about the pH issue. I have some pH guages but I don't really use them nor do I tend to trust them. I've done manual chemistry right next to the cheap gardening guages and the results were mixed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The Yucca could use a bigger pot or to be planted in the ground.
The Fig looks great and I wouldn't change a thing. The pH really isn't a big deal and small gauges like that tend to be wildly inaccurate. If you feel you MUST adjust the pH, use oyster shells or dolomitic lime. As far as the leaning branch/trunk goes, it's just something they do and you can cut that part off. It will branch where you cut it.

Ask a Question