Yucca plant troubles ;(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I’m fairly new to plants which means I’m making plenty of mistakes and need some help.

My yucca plant has scale bugs so I have just removed them 2 days ago with rubbing alcohol. The leaves still look wilted but there are no visible bugs. Will it perk up on its own or is something else wrong?

I potted It in a 12” pot last year but I’ve just read that they like to be crammed so I think I should have kept it in a smaller pot. Should I repot it in a smaller pot or is it ok to leave it as is?

I realize now that putting rocks in the bottom is not a proper way to drain it so I need to fix that when I repot it eventually. There are small markings on a few of the leaves, I wasn’t sure if these are signs of something so I took photos and attached them below in case they’re important.

0ABA0438-4A25-4A2F-99CA-1D34B605E769.jpeg3F0D767C-5908-49AD-B399-53AE77527FF1.jpeg67810FF4-FD41-4595-AEAF-A77474A46D9F.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, that is a nice looking Yucca. My first advice would be 'take it easy', plants don't live at the same pace we do and it often pays to simply observe things for a bit and not act by doing stuff like re-potting, let the plant catch up.
Secondly I would suggest you might take a look at this thread, Indoor Yucca looks unhealthy | Gardening Forums (gardening-forums.com)

I am not big on indoor plants, and others may be able to help you more regarding the infestation problem, but I hope this helps some.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, that is a nice looking Yucca. My first advice would be 'take it easy', plants don't live at the same pace we do and it often pays to simply observe things for a bit and not act by doing stuff like re-potting, let the plant catch up.
Secondly I would suggest you might take a look at this thread, Indoor Yucca looks unhealthy | Gardening Forums (gardening-forums.com)

I am not big on indoor plants, and others may be able to help you more regarding the infestation problem, but I hope this helps some.
Thank you for your help:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't repot, that pot is just fine.
Does it feel "gritty" when you run your hand over those spots? It may have a mild case of mites. You can wipe them off with a damp cloth if they are a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't repot, that pot is just fine.
Does it feel "gritty" when you run your hand over those spots? It may have a mild case of mites. You can wipe them off with a damp cloth if they are a problem.
No, the brown marks are smooth and flat. They’re part of the leaf and can’t be wiped off :/ I’ve also just noticed a root that came to the surface. I added some more soil on top but is that something that I should be concerned with? I thought it was potted deep enough. The leaves are still curled and flopped over so I’m concerned there’s a bigger issue rather than the scale bugs because since removing them I haven’t seen anymore and the plant still looks weak and is losing leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How close to a light source is it? You may be getting to the leaves that grew in after you got it and those will be "softer" and less rigid than the ones it grew in the greenhouse. Yuccas want to be as close to a light source as they can be, given that they normally grow in full direct sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How close to a light source is it? You may be getting to the leaves that grew in after you got it and those will be "softer" and less rigid than the ones it grew in the greenhouse. Yuccas want to be as close to a light source as they can be, given that they normally grow in full direct sun.
I keep it right in front of a window. I thought maybe it was getting cold so lately at night I’ve been pulling it away from the window about 3 feet and then I push it back in the morning.

Ask a Question