Your favorite low maintenance plants

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
For low maintenance plants succulents are my favorite. There are so many to chose from and they do not need you to pay attention to them all of the time. Gernanums is also a winner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cactuses are great too. I had one in my room when I was young and you don't have to do much with it at all. I like the little varieties you find at home improvement centers during the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For low maintenance plants succulents are my favorite. There are so many to chose from and they do not need you to pay attention to them all of the time. Gernanums is also a winner.

I love geraniums and since they supposedly help to repel mosquitoes they are a definite part of the future of the garden plan. I've only seen red ones at the store recently though and I think I would prefer pink. I have red begonias and salvia so I'd like some more colors represented.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cactuses are great too. I had one in my room when I was young and you don't have to do much with it at all. I like the little varieties you find at home improvement centers during the summer.

That's an idea; though it's a small space and things could get a bit prickly. I'm now looking into summer blooms and things that add color and fragrance during winter. The garden is pretty well filled out, and what a difference a few plants make. We also trimmed the large tree at the very back to let in a little more sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that forsythia would be a great choice. It looks really beautiful and it's very easy to grow. Just prune it once a year and you'll see billions of small, yellow flowers. Unfortunately, they aren't fragrant.
If you want something that smells beautifully, maybe choose lilac? Recently, I heard that it's possible to grow it in a warm climate.

Guess what I got on clearance at the garden center Friday afternoon? It's kind of medium small, and not in bloom, but I was so excited to see it! It's a bit wiry and needs to be pruned, but I know it's going to be gorgeous this time next year! I wouldn't have even known what it was had you not mentioned it to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Guess what I got on clearance at the garden center Friday afternoon? It's kind of medium small, and not in bloom, but I was so excited to see it! It's a bit wiry and needs to be pruned, but I know it's going to be gorgeous this time next year! I wouldn't have even known what it was had you not mentioned it to me.
I'm happy for you! Forsythia is a beautiful plant, I love it very much:)
Cut one or two twigs and put them in water indoors. They'll start blooming within a week:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
For the first time I am growing avocado trees and they are so easy to grow....the hardest thing is having patience. It definitely takes time for the seed to crack and the roots to grow, then the tree to actually break through. Once these things occur, the growth goes so quickly that it was worth the wait. They are beautiful plants and I look forward to them bearing fruit one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm happy for you! Forsythia is a beautiful plant, I love it very much:)
Cut one or two twigs and put them in water indoors. They'll start blooming within a week:)

Really? I can't believe it's that simple! I am definitely going to give that a try. I was just looking at the plant and thinking I need to get a larger pot for it because it's a bit root bound. I haven't decided yet about the pruning, but now I want to cut a piece and stick it in a bud vase!

For the first time I am growing avocado trees and they are so easy to grow....the hardest thing is having patience. It definitely takes time for the seed to crack and the roots to grow, then the tree to actually break through. Once these things occur, the growth goes so quickly that it was worth the wait. They are beautiful plants and I look forward to them bearing fruit one day.

Good luck with that. I find avocado pits sprouted in the compost all the time. I have two plants growing in garden #2, but growing from seed is not a guarantee to get fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Really? I can't believe it's that simple! I am definitely going to give that a try. I was just looking at the plant and thinking I need to get a larger pot for it because it's a bit root bound. I haven't decided yet about the pruning, but now I want to cut a piece and stick it in a bud vase!
Yes, it's very simple:D My mom always does it in late winter and early spring, when we really miss looking at flowers.
I love those small, yellow blossoms!:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, it's very simple:D My mom always does it in late winter and early spring, when we really miss looking at flowers.
I love those small, yellow blossoms!:love:

I went out the other day to take a few cuttings and found a lone flower on the bush! I was so excited, I cut three branches and put them in about three inches of water in a bottle while I did my garden chores. There are now sitting on a table inside, but I'm wondering how long it will take to see flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I went out the other day to take a few cuttings and found a lone flower on the bush! I was so excited, I cut three branches and put them in about three inches of water in a bottle while I did my garden chores. There are now sitting on a table inside, but I'm wondering how long it will take to see flowers.
It shouldn't take long. I'm pretty sure you'll see flowers in less than a week:) I will take a few forsythia cuttings too. They're so pretty when they're in bloom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It shouldn't take long. I'm pretty sure you'll see flowers in less than a week:) I will take a few forsythia cuttings too. They're so pretty when they're in bloom!

Guess what? It has been so warm outside that I am getting flowers on the actual plant! The cuttings indoors have not put up a single bloom! I am thinking of dipping them in willow water to start new plants. How's that for irony?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Guess what? It has been so warm outside that I am getting flowers on the actual plant! The cuttings indoors have not put up a single bloom! I am thinking of dipping them in willow water to start new plants. How's that for irony?
This is really weird! My forsythia cuttings always bloom indoors. Maybe it has something to do with climate zones? Or maybe there is more than one forsythia variety? I have absolutely no idea how to explain it. But I'm happy to hear that your plant started blooming:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is really weird! My forsythia cuttings always bloom indoors. Maybe it has something to do with climate zones? Or maybe there is more than one forsythia variety? I have absolutely no idea how to explain it. But I'm happy to hear that your plant started blooming:)

It's so crazy, there are more and more flowers on the bush and none inside! Believe me when I say it's warmer in here than it is out there, but I've never grown forsythia before so I don't know how it seasons here. Also, this is a new plant and may have been cooled or conditioned artificially before I bought it at the garden center. You know how that goes...

Ask a Question