Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Been cooped up so long , I began writing again. Wrote a poem last night. Here goes:
I Buried Old Blue Today

By Don Perry​

I buried old Blue today with sadness in my heart.

He had a good stop and a willing start.

His gait was soft as a velvet cloth

With a watchful eye, his judgment never off.

Years took their toll, on me too, I guess.

We were partners. We were friends, no less.

We rode the high country at the start.

On a snow-covered ridge, he won my heart.

I’m retired now, and so was he.

Through thick and thin, he never gave up on me.

He took me there and brought me back.

My love for him did never lack.

His heart gave out without a doubt.

With arthritis and colic had he many a bout.

I found him while going to give him hay.

He would have been thirty-four, come this May.

We’ll ride on heaven’s green grass someday,

Young once more, we’ll run and play.

I dug deep and laid him gently on a bed of hay.

With a broken heart, I buried old Blue today.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this morning saw a hedgehog feeding for the first time this year. It's good that i put some food and water out because the ground is still frozen, i was surprised that the water hadn't frozen last night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Logan, our stock pond has frozen solid. We are in the middle of the deepest blizzard in 30 years. Woke up to another 4 inches of snow this morning and another 8 to 10 inches predicted for tonight.
what part of America are you? I am in Chester County, PA. about 20 degrees here. snow is staying at 5 to 6 inches . Thank goodness for my young neighbor who helps us with his snow blower on our long driveway, for just the cost of couple dozen of homemade cookies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is Ada, Oklahoma. The last time this happened in Oklahoma was 1899. We have been hit 3 times in the last ten days with record low temps and blizzard conditions. -4 degrees last night and a predicted high of 8 degrees today. You folks up north are accustomed to these temps, but we are not. Going to be Friday before we get a chance to get out. Stay warm , Esther.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This is Ada, Oklahoma. The last time this happened in Oklahoma was 1899. We have been hit 3 times in the last ten days with record low temps and blizzard conditions. -4 degrees last night and a predicted high of 8 degrees today. You folks up north are accustomed to these temps, but we are not. going to be Friday before we get a chance to get out. Stay warm , Esther.
Thanks, Don for your reply. hope you don't lose to many plants as you may have planted your normal "zone". Temps here is running between 27 and 36 here for this week. Keep safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have them all on the glass enclosed back porch. With the small heater I have the temps get down to about 40 degrees. The problem with that glassed in porch is that the glass windows are treated with a UV retardant coating. This blocks UV rays and the plants think they are in the dark whether it is sunny or not. I run grow lights 24/7 and the are going to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have them all on the glass enclosed back porch. With the small heater I have the temps get down to about 40 degrees. The problem with that glassed in porch is that the glass windows are treated with a UV retardant coating. This blocks UV rays and the plants think they are in the dark whether it is sunny or not. I run grow lights 24/7 and the are going to survive.
I was referring to any of your "in grown plants". I also have a few house plants that I bring in for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hanging baskets of Pansies, Petunias, and Ivy are all out there . I look at them and water if needed. They are doing Okay. I'm primarily a vegetable gardener.
Are y'all catching this super cold stuff? Looks like its headed your way.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
On a Sunday i like to make a pudding with a packet of blancmange. For a year now it's been difficult to get the packets of blancmange from the supermarkets, so had to order them from Amazon. Some flavours are more expensive than the others.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a Sunday i like to make a pudding with a packet of blancmange. For a year now it's been difficult to get the packets of blancmange from the supermarkets, so had to order them from Amazon. Some flavours are more expensive than the others.
You can make blancmange with a packet of cornflower and a spoonful of sugar..... cost minimal :)

1613479091542.png
Add flavouring, and save money!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question