Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading books today to my only grandchild (so far) and her friend. I found some really cute, colorful, happy books recommended to me by a friend of mine. The author is Ellie Merriweather and the book titles are "King Henry" (about a funny cat), "Where are the Mulberries," and the "Montana Whale Dolphin." If you have grandkids these books are a hit!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Snowed a bit yesterday and it still is.
20210209_072802.jpg
20210209_072816.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Baking a batch of Biscotti's for my good neighbor who has for the second time cleared my long drive of snow. His first reward was chocolate chip cookies. Today he will get 2 dozen of Biscotti's. Then off to the food store. Heard we are expecting 6 inches of snow on Wednesday. Another day of enjoying the fluff dropping and being retired. Not worried about staffing issues, medication deliveries, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It`s surprising how well it kills time when there`s nothing on tele and too cold to go out gardening (y)
Maybe you could find a board big enough to do a 500 on. I often find good puzzles on eBay.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The table is 6 ft long.
I have got a dinning room table but hubby's computer takes up half of it when he's using the keyboard and with this weather it's too cold to be out in the small dinning room, if we didn't have the boys i could leave it on the floor. I know can get those boards that the pieces stick to it and can fold it up but i don't want to go to that expense. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We think that hubby should be put out in the shed with his computer (and Zigs suggested a paraffin heater) :giggle:
Alternatively, a bit of ply should do the job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I used to play tennis occasionally decades ago when I belonged to a multi-sports club, though I played squash for a club team, so I like to watch it on TV.
I've been recording the Australian Open on Eurosport. They devote two channels to it. So every morning there's around 10 recordings of at least 2hrs length from which to choose. I do cheat and check for the results on the BBC "red button." So I can choose the more interesting matches. So I only watch a few and do a bit of "fast forwarding" through some of them.

However, because Australia is 11 hours ahead of us, I was able to watch live this morning, the "late night" game between the no.2 seed, Romanian Simona Halep and the "Australian" Ajla Tomljanovic, (she was born in Croatia and represented that country before obtaining Australian Citizenship).
An exciting game. At a set each Tomljanovic was leading 5-2 in the third and the spectators were expecting a home victory.
But Halep didn't give up and came back to win 7-5.
At the week-end, I'll have a choice between Tennis and limited over cricket from both Australia and New Zealand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a dinning room table but hubby's computer takes up half of it when he's using the keyboard and with this weather it's too cold to be out in the small dinning room, if we didn't have the boys i could leave it on the floor. I know can get those boards that the pieces stick to it and can fold it up but i don't want to go to that expense. (y)

We don't have a dining room table. Well we do, it's one of those double leaf fold down tables that has four collapsible chairs that slide in betwen the leaves. We must have had it at for at least thirty years. It's parked in the corner of the front room out of the way. You can se it in this photo.

P1040798.JPG

It only comes out if our daughter visits with a couple of the grandkids. They stay at the Prermier Inn, less than half a mile away.
As far as entertaining is concerned which would only be for local friends and our son and his partner, or when we visit our daughter in West London, (we stay at the Runnymede hotel), it's just a question of choosing the restaurant when it's your turn and picking up the bill. We're mostly a meals on trays in front of the TV couple, these days.

I'm watching the tennis with my wifi laptop on my lap. If I need to do any printing I take it upstairs to my "office" the box bedroom.
We could have the table in the lounge, but it's pointless as we rarely use it.
Therer's no chance of me having a computer permanently taking up space in the lounge. I'd be pushing my luck even thinking about it.

Our kitchen is far too small for a table. To save space, we don't even have door to the hall from it and we don't use the back door. That's where we keep the bins for refuse, paper and plastic in front of it.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We think that hubby should be put out in the shed with his computer (and Zigs suggested a paraffin heater) :giggle:
Alternatively, a bit of ply should do the job.
:LOL:we haven't got a shed only a garage, i wouldn't let him go in there who would pay the bills if he gets ill? :LOL:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Today made the Christmas cake, I'll cover it with cling film and put it in a airtight container. In a week start putting the sherry/fortified wine in it.
20210210_181813.jpg

Ask a Question