Worm Bin

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
There was some discussion today on another thread on this very topic, albeit not necessarily on the topic of worm bins but worms in general. For those who might be interested here is one I designed back in 1980 using a 2’x3’x8’ metal trough. What I like about this size is it allows placing hot mixes (manures, coffee grounds, etc.) on one end of the bin during the winter month’s so the worms can migrate to a distance that suits them, thus keeping them active year round.

Attachments

• Worm Bin-a (3).JPG
    Worm Bin-a (3).JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Worm Bin-b.jpg
    Worm Bin-b.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Worm Bin-c.jpg
    Worm Bin-c.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Worm Bin-d.jpg
    Worm Bin-d.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Worm Bin-e.jpg
    Worm Bin-e.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... What I like about this size is it allows placing hot mixes (manures, coffee grounds, etc.) on one end of the bin during the winter month’s so the worms can migrate to a distance that suits them, thus keeping them active year round.
Excellent design!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just reading the bigger the Bin the bigger the Worms will get.

I just have Buckets for my Red Wigglers and pretty good size totes for my European Nightcrawlers.

They are Happy Happy. Got to know Worms to know they are Happy Happy but it also makes me Happy Happy.

big rockpile

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just reading the bigger the Bin the bigger the Worms will get.

I just have Buckets for my Red Wigglers and pretty good size totes for my European Nightcrawlers.

They are Happy Happy. Got to know Worms to know they are Happy Happy but it also makes me Happy Happy.

big rockpile
Worms are far and few between here in the desert southwest so my red wigglers are a God send. I started relatively small and now they have a large bin all to themselves. The best thing is, even my raised beds are now teaming with these ferocious eaters. So, the worms are happy, my plants are happy, and like you, I'm happy as well. A win win all the way around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Looks like a solid design. Possibly over designed with the spray foam but I like it.

I have to keep my "bins" in the basement during winter. What I am finding works for me are large bags I sewed. Each bag is about 2 feet by 2 feet at the bottom and nearly 5 feet tall. I used a heavy plastic tarp for the material and it ran through my sewing machine just fine. Each of these bags is in a black plastic concrete mixing tub.

I learned the lesson of keeping multiple bins in different locations. Over the last two years I have lost most of my worms when the bin in the garage dried out when it got too warm in the summer, twice... I don't learn well.

My garage bin, at least, was a wooden box with casters on one side and handles on the other so I could move it around like a wheel barrow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking about moving mine outside in the shade but got to thinking about rain. So think I will move them by the house we're rain can't get them.

big rockpile

Ask a Question