Composting-bin vs worms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've been wanting to get into composting. My only trouble is I can't just make a big pile in my yard because I rent. The landlord would have a total fit. He barely wanted to let me put my raised beds out there. I can't see him agreeing to compost as most think it is smelly.

So, as such, I have to either use a bin to keep it contained or do some vermicomposting. What's the pros/cons on the two? I see good reviews for compost tumblers when I Google but don't see much here. Are they worth it? We don't need a large amount. I don't think we do anyway. I like the idea of doing a DIY worm tower that the worms can go from one the the next and I can harvest the lovely compost they made me. But I also like the idea of a tumbler and not having to try to keep worms fed and the bedding enough and such. With a compost bin you just add your browns and greens, keep moist, turn once in awhile and let mother nature do her work....right? Anyway, I'd love to know the pros and cons of both. I want compost. I just don't know how to do it when I can't have a pile...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well, I didn't get responses but I decided to go with a regular compost bin. Got a 90 gallon bin. We're just a family of 3 so it will take awhile but I'm hoping by next year I'll be able to add lots of good compost to my garden. And since we bought a pre-built bin we can move it when we move since we're military. Looking forward to my scraps going to a much better use! I may even convince my neighbor who drinks loads of coffee to save me their grounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Since you don't have a land of your own, I guess a wooden box is okay for composting. Maybe a 1x1x1 foot box would be fine. Fill half with good soil and try spot some earthworms to go with the soil. Wet the soil moderately for the earthworm to survive. For the toppings, you can toss in the leftover vegetable cuttings, fruits and even water you used for rinsing meat and fish. Some other food can go to the compost bin like bread, sweets, etc. Wait for a month before you harvest the compost. By the way, don't forget the lid so the odor will not waft into the air.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello!

If you and your neighbor are on good terms, ask them if they would save their coffee grounds, AND their kitchen scraps for you! (Just remember, no meat, grease, or salt.) Saves it from going in a landfill, gives you more compost, and as a bonus you can sell your neighbor on - they won't have to take out their trash as often.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Bin composting and vermicomposting both are good if you generate too much kitchen waste. Both of these composting can be done indoors and will never trouble anyone. While comparing these composting methods, I feel bin composting is little easier because in vermicomposting you will have to separate compost and worms while taking out the compost

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
A compost bin is a good investment though it will come at a price. On the other hand, vermicomposting produces high quality compost but takes longer to synthesise, about 3 months. If you intend to grow high value crops, I would vouch for the latter. Instead of a compost bin, you can use collapsible paperbags and then put your leaves inside after wetting them. Close partially and then keep in a cool dry place. You will harvest rich manure in a month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the wonderful world of composting! Glad you found the best option for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
To harvest from worm bins, put the bin out in the sun. The worms will duck for cover, harvest the top layer, and repeat until you harvested the amount you need.

Ask a Question