What kind of worms for worm bin?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will earthworms work fine for a worm bin? Or do I have to buy the red wigglers? I just want to get some worms from my yard - which are free - to put in the bin. Any suggestions or ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Red wigglers are the best for a wormery and under normal circumstances they can be found in garden soil. If not then go to a Fishing bait shop and buy some bait worms, they are the same as red wigglers and cheaper.
By the way ALL American earthworms were wiped out in the last Ice Age and now the worms in the USA are all imported European ones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Red wigglers are the best for a wormery and under normal circumstances they can be found in garden soil. If not then go to a Fishing bait shop and buy some bait worms, they are the same as red wigglers and cheaper.
By the way ALL American earthworms were wiped out in the last Ice Age and now the worms in the USA are all imported European ones.

That is interesting! Thank you very much for the advice. :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I suppose any agriculturally feasible worm would do. I would go for earthworms because they don't come at a cost and are hardy creatures. Their maintenance is also easy and you only need to have a mound of compost mixed with soil and thoroughly wetted for them to start making vermicompost which is the product of their excreta.

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Everyone seems to have said it! Red Wigglers are one of the best options. Reproduce fast and compost fast.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Red wigglers are a fine composting worm. I personally like European night crawlers. Regular worm you buy in the bait store. are not composting worms. Be careful some worm breeders advertise Red Wigglers, and you end up with more of a different variety worm. Nothing wrong with the others but they are. a little more finicky.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will earthworms work fine for a worm bin? Or do I have to buy the red wigglers? I just want to get some worms from my yard - which are free - to put in the bin. Any suggestions or ideas?
Earthworms are "burrowers". Red Wigglers dwell closer to the surface and are ideal for a bin. They also double in population about every couple months and are the best composters. I have a stackable bin of Red Wigglers and plan to give some away because it's
pretty full and I don't want to start another bin. Maybe you could find someone in the same situation? They are pricey to
buy online. Or start small, light a candle, and turn on some soft music? :) Good luck!

Ask a Question