Woody Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Im in virginia so I dont get grape kool aid flowers :'( I'm very jealous now. It would seem that my bush has gotten woody like the roses because the ones in gatas pictures are shorter abd more dense. I don't want to cut it though, the little leaves look so vibrant and happy despite its poopy living conditions. this guy is a survivor!
I think what gata montes is the genus of plants, robina. There are a bunch of bushes and trees in that genus.. I think what you have is a black locust. It is a gorgeous tree. I would rather have a black locust any day over a rose bush.

Reaction score
black locust cant be right. I googled it and theyre trees. My little guy is no thicker than the rose bush and branches at the base. Like you say gata, ill wait till it gets more growth or flowers and post again. and chuck, I really really want that kool aid smelling plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
black locust cant be right. I googled it and theyre trees. My little guy is no thicker than the rose bush and branches at the base. Like you say gata, ill wait till it gets more growth or flowers and post again. and chuck, I really really want that kool aid smelling plant
I am afraid you will have to move to the Texas Hill Country to get a grape koolaid smelling plant. Gboogle robina genus photos which includes black locust. I'll just bet that what you have is one of those flowering trees albeit forsaken and not taken care of.

Reaction score

I would agree - I too think it would be a really good idea to wait until it has grown a bit more and flowers - especially as at this stage its really difficult to tell exactly what you have growing - as both the Mountain Laurel and the Robinia are very similar - although looking at your pictures - I'm more than positive that it is one of the many varieties of Robinia - but either way both are equally attractive and look very striking in the garden :D

Robinia can be grown as a small shrub or a large tree depending on the variety and how much you prune it and can look very similar to this when grown as a tree

Robinia Pseudoacacia.JPG

The blossoms of a Robinia are different from the Mountain Laurel in that they are more pea like and come in every shade of pink and lilac as well as white and although the blossoms have an intense fragrance too - they have a more floral scent than the Mountain Laurel and for identification purposes here are some Robinia blossoms

Robinia - Blossom.jpg

The Mountain Laurel although very similar to the Robinia is slightly more woody and tends to look very similar to Wisteria - with flowers that are generally blue/lilac and look like this

calia secundiflora - blossoms.jpg

and although I think that Mountain Laurel can also be grown as a shrub as well as a tree - but think Chuck would be able to confirm on that one :D here is what it looks like when in flower.

calia secundiflora - tree.jpg

Hopefully this will help a little more :)

Reaction score
I think you are correct. I believe Mountain Laurel (calia secundiflora) only grows in alkaline soil in portions of Texas and New Mexico. It is amazing how much alike they are. Are the flowers on yours aromatic?

They are and that is what makes it so difficult to identify funkelt's plant - but as I've said before - I feel more than sure that it belongs to the Robinia family - particularly as the foliage of a Mountain Laurel is generally more leathery than that of a Robinia - but please feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong :D and yes Robinias are very fragrant too - but with a slightly more floral hue to the scent :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would agree - I too think it would be a really good idea to wait until it has grown a bit more and flowers - especially as at this stage its really difficult to tell exactly what you have growing - as both the Mountain Laurel and the Robinia are very similar - although looking at your pictures - I'm more than positive that it is one of the many varieties of Robinia - but either way both are equally attractive and look very striking in the garden :D

Robinia can be grown as a small shrub or a large tree depending on the variety and how much you prune it and can look very similar to this when grown as a tree

View attachment 2629

The blossoms of a Robinia are different from the Mountain Laurel in that they are more pea like and come in every shade of pink and lilac as well as white and although the blossoms have an intense fragrance too - they have a more floral scent than the Mountain Laurel and for identification purposes here are some Robinia blossoms

View attachment 2631

The Mountain Laurel although very similar to the Robinia is slightly more woody and tends to look very similar to Wisteria - with flowers that are generally blue/lilac and look like this

View attachment 2632

and although I think that Mountain Laurel can also be grown as a shrub as well as a tree - but think Chuck would be able to confirm on that one :D here is what it looks like when in flower.

View attachment 2634

Hopefully this will help a little more :)
Mountian Laurels here are found in nature as undergrowth shrubs. They are a multi-trunk shrub but many people prune them to be single trunk trees and as far as I know only grow in alkaline soils. Still the resembalance is striking. A Mountian Laurel produces seed pods that have a rounded seed about the size of a bean and they are red. When I was a kid we would rub the seed on our jeans real fast and then touch the seed onto some poor unsuspecting person and give them a little burn. The seeds are very hard and need scarrifing to germinate well. The biggest tree I have seen was 18-20 ft tall.

Reaction score
my sister has lived here 3yrs and said its never had flowers and that its a weed @.@

Reaction score
my sister has lived here 3yrs and said its never had flowers and that its a weed @.@

As Robinia is known to be invasive in some parts of The States - your sister could well be right and its actually a rouge Robinia that you have living in your garden - rather than a cultivated one :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Im in virginia so I dont get grape kool aid flowers :'( I'm very jealous now. It would seem that my bush has gotten woody like the roses because the ones in gatas pictures are shorter abd more dense. I don't want to cut it though, the little leaves look so vibrant and happy despite its poopy living conditions. this guy is a survivor!
Don't forget to feed it and give it a drink every couple of weeks or so. Go organic. It is much more forgiving

Reaction score
its raining now :) it seems to be hardy and drought tolerant though if its made it this long where its at. ill feed it when I finish doing what you recommended for the roses

Reaction score
well I like it and it's staying! lol thanks for your help and time

That is exactly what I would do - so am really pleased that you've decided to keep it - especially as they are such a really attractive tree/shrub from quite an early stage and actually very easy to care for- as they are extremely hardy and tolerant of most things including drought - although I think - as they can be invasive - it might be an idea to keep an eye out for suckers and remove them as they arrive - otherwise you may land up with a rapidly spreading forest :D

However there are a few things that I feel are worth mentioning - so that you have Robinia that flourishes and looks its best - the first one being that as they are drought tolerant they actually don't like being watered too often and secondly - even though yours is currently looking a bit straggly - don't be tempted to prune it just yet - as they are best hard pruned in late summer or early autumn - at which time if you wanted to propagate your tree - as cuttings root easily - you could use the pruned cuttings to multiply your collection :)

As for fertilizer - even though we all feel that by fertilizing plants - we are looking after them and giving them what they need - this is not the case with Robinias as they are better if they are not fertilized - as they don't respond very favorably to fertilizer and actually prefer to grow in very poor soil - otherwise they tend to become brittle, straggly and weak - which makes them more prone to disease.

As Chuck has mentioned that organic feed is best and I would agree - one of the best organic methods of feeding roses is to use banana peels - which is the way I feed mine and is best done with either a mulch of dried banana peels or as a liquid fertilizer - rather than using the fresh peels.

I thought that you might find this thread helpful

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/save-your-banana-peels-for-your-plants.837/

as it contains some very useful information as well as instructions on how to dry them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is exactly what I would do - so am really pleased that you've decided to keep it - especially as they are such a really attractive tree/shrub from quite an early stage and actually very easy to care for- as they are extremely hardy and tolerant of most things including drought - although I think - as they can be invasive - it might be an idea to keep an eye out for suckers and remove them as they arrive - otherwise you may land up with a rapidly spreading forest :D

However there are a few things that I feel are worth mentioning - so that you have Robinia that flourishes and looks its best - the first one being that as they are drought tolerant they actually don't like being watered too often and secondly - even though yours is currently looking a bit straggly - don't be tempted to prune it just yet - as they are best hard pruned in late summer or early autumn - at which time if you wanted to propagate your tree - as cuttings root easily - you could use the pruned cuttings to multiply your collection :)

As for fertilizer - even though we all feel that by fertilizing plants - we are looking after them and giving them what they need - this is not the case with Robinias as they are better if they are not fertilized - as they don't respond very favorably to fertilizer and actually prefer to grow in very poor soil - otherwise they tend to become brittle, straggly and weak - which makes them more prone to disease.

As Chuck has mentioned that organic feed is best and I would agree - one of the best organic methods of feeding roses is to use banana peels - which is the way I feed mine and is best done with either a mulch of dried banana peels or as a liquid fertilizer - rather than using the fresh peels.

I thought that you might find this thread helpful

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/save-your-banana-peels-for-your-plants.837/

as it contains some very useful information as well as instructions on how to dry them :)
From what you have just described the robina is even more similar to my mountian laurel. If it gets even the slightest bit too wet it will go into a decline and will be covered up with caterpillars in just a few days I have grown this thing from a seed and over the 8 or 9 years I haven't given it any fertilizer at all and I never water it. I find it strange that two plants from two different genus can be so much alike in appearence and growth habits What makes one robina and the other calia?

Reaction score
From what you have just described the robina is even more similar to my mountian laurel. If it gets even the slightest bit too wet it will go into a decline and will be covered up with caterpillars in just a few days I have grown this thing from a seed and over the 8 or 9 years I haven't given it any fertilizer at all and I never water it. I find it strange that two plants from two different genus can be so much alike in appearence and growth habits What makes one robina and the other calia?

To be honest - I think that in this case the fact that both plants look almost identical - is just a coincidence - as a large majority of drought tolerant / low maintenance plants - have exactly the same requirements and require very little care at all and in fact actually flourish without too much TLC :)

Ask a Question