Woody Roses

Reaction score
We have two rose bushes that I dont think have ever been trimmed. They dont produce more than 2-3 roses and they look terrible. Can I save it? Or would trimming it back now just kill the whole thing? I dont want the bush to be as tall as the window like that but my sister wants me to try to salvage it rather than take it out. Any advice? TIA!
IMG_7995.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have two rose bushes that I dont think have ever been trimmed. They dont produce more than 2-3 roses and they look terrible. Can I save it? Or would trimming it back now just kill the whole thing? I dont want the bush to be as tall as the window like that but my sister wants me to try to salvage it rather than take it out. Any advice? TIA!
View attachment 2616
Where do you live and what is the average date of your last freeze? Is it a grafted rose or an own root rose? If you can't tell dig some dirt away from the base and take another pic. If it is an own root rose you can cut it completely down and it will resprout. If it is a grafted rose immediately cut 1/3 of off each of the smaller branches and cut the larger branch to match the others. Then next year you can trim it way back.

Reaction score
Thanks. I dont know the difference but I dug a couple inches down and took a pic. I didn't go further because it was starting to tilt Verdict? I dont know what the guy next to it is but I dont think its roses lol They make for a scraggly pair and whatever that grass is at the base there sucks too. Ive been pulling it out every day but the roots are everywhere! Im hoping to smother it when we can get mulch
r
IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_8000.JPG

IMG_8001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a grafted rose. That other stuff I haven't a clue except it could maybe possibly be a china berry tree, but cut it off below ground level, cover the entire area except the rose bush with heavy plastic and cover the plastic with mulch. Fertilize the base area of the rose bush and follow previous instructions

Reaction score
funkelt - As Chuck has already mentioned - your roses can very definitely be saved - however as the best treatment very much depends on what type of rose it is and as it is very hard to tell from your pictures - whether it is a hybrid tea or floribunda gone wild or a standard that is just a bit unruly - wondered if you know which one it is.

The reason being that if it was a hybrid tea or floribunda rose that has never been pruned - it would look much like the one in your photo - with all the growth at the top - which is not where it should be and the best way of reviving a rose like this - would be to cut the whole rose back so that the main stem was roughly 30cm in height - as this would allow the rose to branch out at a lower level and become more bush like - as well as give it more energy to produce new shoots and blooms - whereas if it is actually standard rose that you have which is meant to have growth at the top - it would be best to first take out all the dead wood and any weak or spindly branches and then cut all the remaining branches back by at least half :)

As to what the plant is in your second picture - am thinking that it looks very much like a Robinia Pseudoacacia - which is a very attractive smallish tree and definitely one that I think you'll probably want to keep - as even though there are many, many different varieties of these trees - they all look stunning from an early age :)

Reaction score
no idea what kind it is! everything was overgrown when I got here and I only just got into gardenIng. im excited that there was already such a variety! its been awesome, I'm geeking out lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
no idea what kind it is! everything was overgrown when I got here and I only just got into gardenIng. im excited that there was already such a variety! its been awesome, I'm geeking out lol
Don't do anything yet. I am sending pics a little later so gata montes can get a look. I think I know what's what, but need a little verification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
funkelt - As Chuck has already mentioned - your roses can very definitely be saved - however as the best treatment very much depends on what type of rose it is and as it is very hard to tell from your pictures - whether it is a hybrid tea or floribunda gone wild or a standard that is just a bit unruly - wondered if you know which one it is.

The reason being that if it was a hybrid tea or floribunda rose that has never been pruned - it would look much like the one in your photo - with all the growth at the top - which is not where it should be and the best way of reviving a rose like this - would be to cut the whole rose back so that the main stem was roughly 30cm in height - as this would allow the rose to branch out at a lower level and become more bush like - as well as give it more energy to produce new shoots and blooms - whereas if it is actually standard rose that you have which is meant to have growth at the top - it would be best to first take out all the dead wood and any weak or spindly branches and then cut all the remaining branches back by at least half :)

As to what the plant is in your second picture - am thinking that it looks very much like a Robinia Pseudoacacia - which is a very attractive smallish tree and definitely one that I think you'll probably want to keep - as even though there are many, many different varieties of these trees - they all look stunning from an early age :)
Not the best pics in the world but aren't these pics the same as that unknown thing next to the rose bush?

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
could be, it looks the same to me. what is it?
A really nice bush/tree called a Mountain Laurel. When they bloom the flowers smell just like grape coolaid. Here in Texas they are pretty expensive to purchase because they are next to impossible to transplant which means growing them from seed and because they are very slow growers. That little bush in the pic I started from seed 9 years ago and it has buds on it for the first time. They are evergreen and the flowers/blooms are long purple/bluish. They are virtually maintenance free and are extremely drought tolerant and long lived.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A really nice bush/tree called a Mountain Laurel. When they bloom the flowers smell just like grape coolaid. Here in Texas they are pretty expensive to purchase because they are next to impossible to transplant which means growing them from seed and because they are very slow growers. That little bush in the pic I started from seed 9 years ago and it has buds on it for the first time. They are evergreen and the flowers/blooms are long purple/bluish. They are virtually maintenance free and are extremely drought tolerant and long lived.
After further checking I don't think they can be the same unless you live in Texas or New Mexica. I think Gata Montes is correct. It is probably a Black Locust which will also be very very nice to have in your landscape. They look a lot alike

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures you posted Chuck - I still feel more than sure that funkelt's unidentified shrub/tree belongs to the Robinia family - as I originally said and looks something like this

Robinia Hispida - Macrophylla.jpeg

which I think you would agree looks very similar to yours - but as to exactly which variety it is am not sure - as it would be difficult to say until the tree/shrub had matured a bit or had some flowers :)

If you don't think its a Robinia - what do you think it is then ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking at the pictures you posted Chuck - I still feel more than sure that funkelt's unidentified shrub/tree belongs to the Robinia family - as I originally said and looks something like this

View attachment 2625

which I think you would agree looks very similar to yours - but as to exactly which variety it is am not sure - as it would be difficult to say until the tree/shrub had matured a bit or had some flowers :)

If you don't think its a Robinia - what do you think it is then ?
I think you are correct. I believe Mountain Laurel (calia secundiflora) only grows in alkaline soil in portions of Texas and New Mexico. It is amazing how much alike they are. Are the flowers on yours aromatic?

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im in virginia so I dont get grape kool aid flowers :'( I'm very jealous now. It would seem that my bush has gotten woody like the roses because the ones in gatas pictures are shorter abd more dense. I don't want to cut it though, the little leaves look so vibrant and happy despite its poopy living conditions. this guy is a survivor!

Ask a Question