My celery is thin and woody

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This was the first year I grew celery and it was not a success :(
I planted purchased seedlings in early May. The summer here on Vancouver Island was very hot and dry, but I made sure to keep the garden beds well watered.
The fall rains and cooler weather have started and my clumps of celery consist of many thin tough stems.
Peas, lettuce and green beans growing in the same bed did very well.
Any hints as to where I went wrong?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Celery grows well in my area Zone 5. I buy eight plants from a local greenhouse and get far more than I can possibly use.. In fact I give it little or no care. Well drained soil and not too wet.

I sill have several clumps left at this late date and they are pristine.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OHMHR 10 May 2015 Celery
Eight celery plants were moved to the outdoor garden.The plants were in the greenhouse for about ten days to establish strong roots.
I pick stocks all Summer and it keeps growing. I use it in juicing with various other vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Durgan Your celery looked so green and fantastic! I will be looking for this next summer and try my hand at growing celery. My mom loves juicing celery with her other fruits and vegetables.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I really like celery too. As my veggie garden is so overgrown.....with weeds.... at present I find the thought of it a bit overwhelming. Also because I haven't had the greatest success I find it hard to psyche myself up to attack it. Maybe all this veggie talk will do it!!!:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That thin stems of your celery is clearly an indication of undernourishment. When the weather is too dry, you need to water your plants more than 2 times a day. During summer, we water our plants in the morning and also in the late afternoon. But sometimes we also water them after lunch - but this irrigation is direct to the roots, careful not to wet the leaves. Try that with your celery, a continual watering and let us see.

Ask a Question