3 July 2016 Carrot Beet Celery Basil Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/July%202016/3%20July%202016%20Carrot%20Beet%20Celery%20Basil%20Juice/HTML/ 3 July 2016 Carrot Beet Celery Basil Juice
Four garden vegetables were made into 11 liters of pressure canned juice for long term storage at room temperature. Ingredients are basil 1/2 pound, celery 2 pounds, beets 4 pounds, carrots 6 pounds. Procedure was wash, cut into smaller pieces, cover with water to make a texture for juice, cook until soft about 20 minutes, hand blend into a slurry, strain through a food mill mesh of 2 mm, residue of food mill put through a Champion Juicer to obtain maximum nutrients. Mix all together and place in liter jars and pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_99353%20july%202016%20carrot%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
How interesting! Can you tell me please, what will you do with it? You may laugh, but it looks like our preserves for soup "borsch".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
How interesting! Can you tell me please, what will you do with it? You may laugh, but it looks like our preserves for soup "borsch".

I live in a superb growing area in Canada, have a large garden and tend to distrust most commercial prepared food, but I also have a short growing season. My problem was how to preserve and still retain nutrients in such a form that it was desirable to ingest. After much experimentation I came up with the method described on this post. Each year I pressure can about 500 liter jars of plant food-meaning fruit and vegetables. I grow most, but buy at the peak of the season that which I do not grow. I use most of the preservation methods but the old standby is pressure canning. Usually I have four jars open at one time and mix in the drinking glass as required. I keep a journal. http://durgan.org/2011/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I live in the cold country, and I understand you. Good job!

We'lll make preserves with cucumbers and tomatoes in July. And with mushrooms in August.

Ask a Question