Wisteria roots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm removing a wisteria vine that has overtaken my yard and other trees in the vicinity. I cut it all the way to the roots and have dug up the area around it. The vines and roots underground are 3-4in in diameter running off from the main trunk. If I cut these vines from the trunk and remove the trunk will the vines underground sprout a new plant? Or do I have to follow each one underground and remove them. Please help I do not want to dig up my whole yard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Jenster100 :)
You have your work cut out for you there! Those roots will continue to send up new growth, and they will be really hard to remove. Even if you think you can dig every bit out - it will probably pop up again somewhere. Your best bet is to drill into the roots as much as possible and fill all the holes with brush killer. It will need to be a strong herbicide to deal with the problem.

The other method that might succeed after time is the use of epsom salts in large quantity. Although the salts are often used to feed plants, it is possible to kill awkward stumps with an overdose of the stuff. This method will just feed any surrounding plants in the area if it should seep out. Again, you would need to drill nice big holes into the roots, fill them up with salts and cover with black plastic or similar to keep the rain off - tie in well and leave for at least a year or two, cutting off any bits that try to grow back.

Good luck (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Jenster100 :)
You have your work cut out for you there! Those roots will continue to send up new growth, and they will be really hard to remove. Even if you think you can dig every bit out - it will probably pop up again somewhere. Your best bet is to drill into the roots as much as possible and fill all the holes with brush killer. It will need to be a strong herbicide to deal with the problem.

The other method that might succeed after time is the use of epsom salts in large quantity. Although the salts are often used to feed plants, it is possible to kill awkward stumps with an overdose of the stuff. This method will just feed any surrounding plants in the area if it should seep out. Again, you would need to drill nice big holes into the roots, fill them up with salts and cover with black plastic or similar to keep the rain off - tie in well and leave for at least a year or two, cutting off any bits that try to grow back.

Good luck (y)
So even if I remove the main stump and roots the runner roots underground will still sprout shoots? I am trying to put a playground directly over where the tree was so I was hoping for a faster solution. Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So even if I remove the main stump and roots the runner roots underground will still sprout shoots? I am trying to put a playground directly over where the tree was so I was hoping for a faster solution. Thanks for your time.
You must kill the roots. You will NEVER dig all of them up, especially on a root of this size.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... I am trying to put a playground directly over where the tree was so I was hoping for a faster solution. ...
When I purchased this ranch over 40 years ago, I saw a pretty purple flowered plant growing up trees and things. Found out it was wisteria and over 40 years later I'm still fighting it.

Sorry to say but "fast" isn't a word to use when contemplating eliminating wisteria.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your replies, I decided to move the location of playground and drilled holes into remaining stump and roots, used a heavy duty concentrated bush killer, bonide stump and vine remover, then packed it with rock salt around the area and covered with a tarp, guess we will see where that goes but considering all your replies I think my mother in law's wisteria is going to be a pain in my side for years to come.

Ask a Question