Pruning evergreen wisteria

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone offer hands on experience with "evergreen wisteria". Specifically after the multi-day freeze. As you can see in the picture only the "eyebrows" grow, which is from another freeze 3 years ago. Today I made a small cut about a foot off the ground and trunk is still very green inside. All the leaves are dead or dying.
How do I prune this to encourage new productive growth?
Can I trim the lower parts to encourage growth and if so how?

Thanks

Wisteria.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First, wait at least a few weeks to determine if it has indeed died back. No, I don't have hand's on experience with that specific plant but MOST vines will grow new stems wherever they are cut. I would expect it to react the same. It's also typical that they grow mostly at tips of the stems. You could cut one stem every other year and that may help keep it green lower on the wall. I would recommend cutting the largest if you do, as it would be the most likely to resprout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not actually a Wisteria, but is called Millettia reticulata. It is fully hardy, and will most likely recover all by itself. @cpp gardener is spot on when saying you should leave it alone for a few weeks. A severe frost, or very cold weather will prune off any new growth like this, and will usually result in even better growth once the weather improves.
Here, this plant is quite hard to find, and I wouldn`t be able to afford one even if I could find it.

We had a severe cold spell recently which killed off all the new leaves on my very hardy honeysuckle (Lonicera) It is now sprouting new leaves like crazy !! Don`t panic (y)

By the way, welcome to the forum @CaptBraap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I’m new, following the thread to see if your vine has leafed out? Im in Austin and mine is still looking very dormant. Thinking I should see something by now

Ask a Question