MY POOR WISTERIA

Sneezie

Nellie Mosser, Clematis
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5 - 6
Country
United States
Im posting this with a heavy heart. Ive had my Wisteria bush for bout 12 years. Bloomed beautifully. Well with all the rain we`ve had, the rain rotted half of its roots, and it tumbled over. My husband and son tied a rope round the stronger branches and staked it up. Only time will tell if my lovely plant will make it.

Attachments

• My Phone Piccys 194.jpg
    My Phone Piccys 194.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 184
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Wisterias can die on you. They're good at that.

We had a white one that upped and died and had to be replaced.

Wisteria 2.JPG

P1020616.JPG

We inherited this one when we bought the house in 1972. I built a pergola for it thirty years ago, then had to replace it ten years ago with a stronger one. This is from four years ago. It was a it of a mess, a lot of ugly wood.

Wisteria pond.JPG

But three years ago, the main stems rotted leaving one which "part rotted," near the base. The bit with the bungie cord round it.

P1060736.JPG

P1060749.JPG

This one branch was trained along the top of the fence between the garage and the house and then along the pergola on the back of the house where it meets the one coming from the right.

P1030041.JPG

I didn't want to lose it, so I scraped the rot away and covered the area with a whole tube of clear silicone.

It's still thriving. It's produced more branches from near the base that I've trained back over the pergola I built for the old one.

We bought another white on which is in the middle, but there's a layered bit of the old one growing up next to the side garage door.

Hopefully we'll get some blooms on it next year.

P1030039.JPG

This one has never been any bother. We trained it from when we bought it. It's supported by several horizontal wires stretched between eyes in the concrete posts. It isn't attached to the panels.

P1020681.JPG

Ask a Question