Winter's come early

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We had hail & lightning here earlier, but nothing like that.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I didn't expect to see that in early September...

It's been nice and sunny here today, although a little bit of rain this morning. Just about T-Shirt weather, although I am a Geordie ;).

Reaction score
It's been crazy weather everywhere this year. Our weather here pretty much turned to Autumn the 1st of September. Thursday night it actually went down to 4 degrees Celsius. However, we've had nothing like that so far, and I hope we don't! That's just nuts.

Reaction score
Wow! We had some off the wall weather this year too, but nothing quite like that. We have had hail this summer, but mixed in with rain and not looking like a snow storm! We have had a couple cold nights already tho this week.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I didn't expect to see that in early September...

It's been nice and sunny here today, although a little bit of rain this morning. Just about T-Shirt weather, although I am a Geordie ;).

:D Didn't know that Ian, so's @clueless1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No! Not snow again!:eek: It's way too early. Why is summer so short? I don't miss winter at all.
Fortunately, here where I live, it's still pretty warm, around 24c. Only nights are chilly, but it's okay, I can deal with it:)

Reaction score
That is so weird. It's hot as usual in Florida and I have every fan in the house blowing. I checked on my plants and they look a little thirsty, but the weeds are thriving as usual.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't think we've ever had a hail storm go on for that long, but the ground here is more likely to look like that because of hail than snow.

Six years ago we had a hail storm with stones at least as big as golf balls. Thirteen windows in our house got broken that night, but luckily our cars were under cover. Last year there were similar storms a few miles from where we live and I'm terrified it will happen to us again, especially since I've become so involved in bonsai since then and I'm terrified of what would happen to my trees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Today it will be in the high 80's F and tomorrow in the 90s. Not usual weather for our temperate climate. It's usually in the 50-65 range with constant misty rains. What rains we have had have had lots of thunder, lightning and torrential down falls of rain, but always in the 70s. With the heat and humidity it feels like I've moved to the southeast US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa, that hail storm is freaky! I don't think I've seen such a thick carpet of hail before, it always seems to disappear pretty quickly.

It feels like we went from summer to autumn on 1 September, our house is getting really cold but it's far too early to turn the heating on! Jumpers it is then ;)

Reaction score
That can be annoying when winter comes early especially when you're trying to plant or maintain a garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't suppose it will make me too popular if I say that we've got beautiful spring weather in South Africa :) Everything's turning green and my bonsai and pre-bonsai trees already need trimming to keep them looking tidy.

The only downside of our summers is that the thunderstorms and hail can get really nasty.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D Thats good Gina, at least you can keep us going through the winter. I guess @Jed is moving out of winter in Taz now.

Warm here today (I'm further south than Becky)

Ask a Question