Winter what do you do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I thnk our time for growing crops has past here. Even though we will probably have many warm days until actual winter our first freeze may be coming soon. We haven't even had a frost yet, but it has cooled significantly at night. What do you do during the winter? Do you grow anything? I don't have a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I've tried growing many different crops but I haven't succeeded, they seem to start out just fine and then they die which is why I've been watching tutorials to find out what can I do.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've sown some Lambs Lettuce and there's self seeded Land Cress around the plot that overwinters. None of the Purple sprouting broccoli came up :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
In winter we dry out from the rainy season and generally do our "spring cleaning". I grow things year around in my garden, which means i am gardening all year. This can be a good thing, but sometimes (not frequently, maybe once or twice) i wish there was snow on the ground and a fire in the fireplace, some hot tea and a good book, although the tea and good book can just as comfortably be done in the hammock outside. Some seeds do not like to germinate in December and January even when the soil is warm enough and the climate is warm enough but February is a good month for germinating seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have about seven months with chance of frost/deep freeze growing conditions. That means only about five months when we can grow stuff outside.

In winter? My litle old house is surrounded by trees. I just dont grow anything from October through about late May or early June. The dogs get lots more walkies during our long winter. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We don't have snow/bitter cold/blizzard winter here in central Texas. We have temps in the 40's to low 30's, and occasionally a hard freeze.
We tend a fall/winter vegetable garden with cool season crops, take the opportunity to prune roses and perennials, sift compost and spread it around, and walk the fence line and do any repairs needed.
Winter is a "down time" for us, but there is still plenty to do and we keep somewhat busy. then come inside and have a bowl of hot soup and some homemade bread!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't really plan on growing anything outside any time soon because I like growing in my room, so I don't know much about keeping plants outside in the cold. I also live in California, we don't even get winters, haha just kidding we do and they are actually pretty cold but we get no snow. Plants have their own methods of defending themselves from the cold, maybe you should just control your watering habits, don't water too much because you don't want the roots to turn into ice. Here is an article that might help you out. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/winter-death-of-plants.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My preparation is to remove all dead vegetation, and spread some compost. Rototill all areas and tend to lay a covering of wood chip mulch. My season is too short for a green cover crop. So basically come Spring, all I do if rake back the mulch and rototill if necessary and plant. Winter is starting this month, October, and it lasts until about the 15 of April, and active planting takes place around the 24 of May for most plants., During the winter on some nice days, I prune the various fruit trees as required. The only thing actively alive and growing somewhat is garlic and it will be planted this month about the 20 of October. The garlic bed is prepared and covered in wood chips.

My growing season is June, July, August and if lucky September. Frost, early and late, is always the inhibitor. But generally in my area, Zone 5, we have magnificent growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By the end of Oct. the gardens are put to bed for the winter, snow blowers ready to go. the rest of the winter we kind of sit around and putter with house plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just heard on the news, we may be looking at frost in the next few days. :(

I do cut my asparagus bed down after the frost. And apply a layer of compost over it and my perennial beds so it can marinate over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm hoping the frost holds off for a few more weeks so I can get the rest of my egg plants that I will be saving for the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping the frost holds off for a few more weeks so I can get the rest of my egg plants that I will be saving for the seeds.

Me too! I have both black beauty and white eggplants, hoping they will hold on for another few weeks. Also a bunch of yellow squash. And rainbow chard, but it will survive several frosts.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some Kale to overwinter, least i'll have some greens :)
DSCI0113.JPG

Ask a Question