Winter Mulching

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, folks. I planted a lot of perennials this year, but I will soon be moving out of my house so I won't be able to take care of them anymore.

Still, I'm thinking about doing winter mulching to help the perennials survive until next year.

The problem is, I won't be around to rake away the mulch when spring comes. Should I still do it then, or just let it be?

Take note that I mulched this summer. Also, it's a shade garden with several trees, so the fallen leaves will provide some insulation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Why would you need to remove the mulch? It is getting a bit late, but as long as the soil is still reasonably warm you can go ahead and mulch now. The worms will take it into the soil for you so need need to do anything more with it. Just be careful not to mound it up against trees and shrubs so that the bark round their base is covered. Most woody plants hate that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Worth ignoring. ;) (Never ever rely on content sites for accurate information!!) o_O Go to state extension/edu, or state .gov sites, or long-standing sellers such as Bonnie Plants or American Meadows or whatever.

Anyhow I am sorry you have to leave your perennial babies behind, and I think it's sweet you care enough. But consider...Mother Nature provides ample mulch in the wild every year in the form of fallen leaves, trees, branches and naturally dead vegetation. And plants come up just fine every spring. :)

Personally I cut back some of my perennials, apply a light layer of compost and then an inch or three of (preferably naturally occuring, such as leaves and old branches) mulch in fall. Mostly that all breaks down and gets incorporated into your soil. Everything seems to come back quite vigorously in spring, especially annoying weeds such as creeping charlie...!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely ignore, unless you are putting an incredibly deep layer of mulch on top. I have just done like Beth and covered one bed with about 3 inches of leaves and chippings. The natural process of decomposition and earthworms will reduce that to next to nothing by spring when I shall cover the area with a layer of well rotted manure.

A thought did occur. If you were covering tender plants with a very deep protective layer then yes you would remove it in Spring. I was thinking of straw or fern fronds placed over Dahlias or Agapanthus as is sometimes done here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, got it. I'll put down a light layer of compost with some leaves on top. Thanks so much for the advice!

FYI, my friend will still be living at this house after I leave, so I'll be coming back to visit now and then. It would be nice to see at least some of the plants still living then! Unfortunately, while my friend is a good guy, he doesn't have the time, the will, or the knowledge to take care of the plants. :/ So hopefully, some of them will do alright on their own- otherwise, they were good while they lasted! :)

Ask a Question