Mulching in the Winter

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
I see a lot of posts about mulching, rather than raking up fallen leaves around this time of year (snow fall permitting) as the final mowing chore before putting the mower away for Winter, a kind of killing two birds with one stone activity. What are people's thoughts on this? Is it a useful way of composting the lawn, or does it just leave the place looking a complete mess?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't mulch a lawn.
It needs light, it needs air, and it needs evaporation to prevent it becoming a sticky bog.
It would also DELAY soil temp rise.
That's what would happen where I live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Compost yes, mulch no. By mowing your leaves the tiny bits of leaves will compost much quicker and they will literally disappear very quickly while at the same time feeding your soil and making for a healthier grass.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We did not get all of the leaves up before the snow started to fall, the back yard has 5 very large trees that drop a large amount of leaves on the yard and keep the sun out of the yard. Do you think it will be better to try and pick up the leaves which will be very wet when the cold temperatures are gone or should we try to compost them? There is no grass back there because the trees shade the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We did not get all of the leaves up before the snow started to fall, the back yard has 5 very large trees that drop a large amount of leaves on the yard and keep the sun out of the yard. Do you think it will be better to try and pick up the leaves which will be very wet when the cold temperatures are gone or should we try to compost them? There is no grass back there because the trees shade the yard.
Since there is no grass I would rake them up into a pile and compost them. Either that are use them as mulch in your garden

Ask a Question