7 May 2016 Trellis and Mulching Cucumber area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/7%20May%202016%20Trellis%20and%20Mulching%20Cucumber%20area/HTML/ 7 May 2016 Trellis and Mulching Cucumber area
The cucumbers are grown on a trellis made from two concrete 4 by 8 feet wire and metal fence posts held with plastic ties. The width is about three feet. This system contains the plants and they will climb the trellis with a bit of help. The fruit is green all around since it does not lay on the ground. Stepping boards are added, since it facilitates picking without crushing the vines.
Planting is at the end of May, so some wood chip mulch was added to the bed to retain moisture, and to inhibit evaporation due to exposure to Sun.
dsc_86797%20may%202016%20mulching_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
This gives me a better idea for how I should be setting up my cucumber plants. I have some trellis in place right now, but certainly not that high so I think I'm going to have to work on amending that. This year will be my first time growing cucumbers so I'm a little clueless, but working on it. Practice makes perfect, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This gives me a better idea for how I should be setting up my cucumber plants. I have some trellis in place right now, but certainly not that high so I think I'm going to have to work on amending that. This year will be my first time growing cucumbers so I'm a little clueless, but working on it. Practice makes perfect, right?
I used the concrete wire because it is strong and readily available, and easy and quick to install. The cucumber vines still need to be trained daily to climb. I have had them go to the top with the fruit hanging on the trellis. If the plants are allowed to spread across the ground, they take up a lot of room and are awkward to pick. Usually space is at a premium in a small home garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That's good advice that I need to be training them daily - I wondered if I needed to do more and actually affix the vines manually to the trellis I have, or to just let them do their own thing. I appreciate the tips! We love cucumber in this house and if we can successfully grow some ourselves it'll be awesome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I use "pipe cleaners" from the Dollar Store or a Craft Center as simple twist ties to affix the vines. The tentacles on the cucumbers have to be almost touching the structure that they twist around. The cucumber tentacles don't deviate much without some assistance. Probably once a day redirecting them is sufficient.

I might add once the vine has grown past an appropriate tie point, it cannot be bent back since it usually breaks off if re-directed too sharply.

Last edited:

Ask a Question