Why Women Love Roses

Reaction score
Women love roses, because they are always associated with romance and love. Buying a single red rose definitely indicates your love for somebody! Aside from the beautiful fragrance and vibrant colour, roses are also delicate and beautiful in every way! You can never go wrong buying a woman roses! Friends and family may choose white, pink or yellow as a gift instead.

Reaction score
I agree with you. I'm a woman and I love to get roses and most other flowers, too! They're just so lovely. Makes me think who ever gives them to me thinks I'm lovely too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Men love Roses because you can make Rose Hip Wine from them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Rose Hip Wine sounds good;)
Anyway, I'm a woman and I adore roses! Especially miniature ones. I love growing them, looking at them, smelling them and of course receiving them:) They make a perfect, very romantic gift.

Reaction score
I totally love receiving flowers of any descriptions and it always means a lot to me, but think roses are always extra special, and were made especially to be given as that extra special gift to those you really care for, because not only do they come in all the right colors to suit every type of anniversary, but they also come in all shades of red - and a red rose always speaks volumes and can really express how someone feels :)
Although I love receiving cut roses, I think I would prefer to be given a rose bush, as it would last much longer :D

Zigs - I'm really liking the sound of your Rose Hip Wine - what does it taste like ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure yet, first time of making it, usually make Syrup, which is lovely.

Reaction score
I love roses for their looks, smells and texture. They do say "romance" and mean that someone is thinking good thoughts of you. I enjoy getting them cut and in a vase or even alive and ready to plant! Hubby has been super nice and brought me home some upstarts of wild roses off the side of the road. They smelled heavenly and I loved them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, that's lovely

Reaction score
My father bought my mother flowers each weekend. When he brought home roses, we knew it was a special occasion. Mom loved them.

Reaction score
Not sure yet, first time of making it, usually make Syrup, which is lovely.

What a shame :( I'd so been looking forward to a very detailed description of what Rose Hip wine tasted like, especially as I really like all kinds of wine :D
Rose Hip Syrup sounds good though, especially as you said and that its lovely :) what do you do with it - use it on desserts or drink it and what does that taste like?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've brought the wine into the bedroom with me, its warmer in here so its fermenting a bit quicker, still a way to go yet though.

Rose Hip Syrup helped get us through the Second World War, the U Boats had blocked the supply of fresh fruits and we were seriously in danger of getting Scurvy. Can't fight if you get sick.

All the kids were sent out to harvest Rose Hips, they were picking 450 Tons a year.

Very versatile, you can put it on desserts, drink it straight or do what I do and make a milkshake with it,

Think i've got a thread on making it on here somewhere, i'll go have a look.......

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, thought I had,

An excellent way of storing vitamin C for the winter months.

007-6.jpg
Gathered half a kilo

001-23.jpg
Took the stems off & chopped them up

002-18.jpg
Get them into boiling water asap as the vitamin C starts breaking down as soon as they are chopped. As soon as it comes back to the boil turn off the heat and let stand for 15 mins.

008-10.jpg
Pour into a jelly bag & let drip, or squeeze if you don't mind it cloudy. This is to strain all the irritating hairs out.

Boiled the pulp up again & added 500grams of sugar.

Pour into sterilised bottles. Ready to drink as soon as its cooled.

029-1.jpg
I drink a couple of tablepoons a day in the winter, often stirred into a glass of milk.

Reaction score
Zigs - many thanks for the info - very much like the sound of Rose Hip Syrup, especially as its a good way of getting extra an extra dose of Vit.C :)
Certainly looks simple enough to make and am keen to have a go, but first need to find some rose hips, which aren't exactly in abundance where I live - which brings me to ask - do I need a particular type and are there any that I should avoid or will any do, and where do the hairs come from, inside the seed pod ?
Also can you adjust the amount of sugar you use, if like me - you don't like anything too sweet ?
Seeing the bottles in your last picture, has just reminded me, that I would also need to remember to take the original labels off the bottles, particularly if they were the same as yours 'tomato sauce' - dread to think what might happen, if husband got rose hip syrup instead of tomato sauce:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Zigs, thank you so much for posting this guide! I'll definitely try to make Rose Hip Syrup too, I think that it may taste really interesting if I add some of it to my tea. I already eat a lot of fruits and vegetables because I'm a vegetarian, but an extra dose of viamin C is always welcome:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My pleasure Ladies :)

Not really a way to reduce the sugar as its part of the preserving process i'm afraid.

You can use any Rose hips, you've only got a small window to pick them though, best after the first frost and before the Field Fares arrive from Russia to eat the lot

Can't describe the taste, other than lovely:)

The hairs are surrounding the seeds inside, i'd hate to have a Field Fare's tummy :eek:

Ask a Question