Why is my lemon tree sad? :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Had a lemon tree seedling that was perfectly happy up until about a few weeks ago when the leaves started yellowing, and it now looks very unhealthy, the stem is still green but it hasn't grown for over a month and all the leaves look like they will fall off.. It usually stays in the bathroom but the lighting isn't best there and the ill health started to appear when I tried moving it under my 400w LED array to see if the light would help it to grow. I'm not sure what to do now, pictures included.
IMAG0820.jpg
IMAG0818.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Had a lemon tree seedling that was perfectly happy up until about a few weeks ago when the leaves started yellowing, and it now looks very unhealthy, the stem is still green but it hasn't grown for over a month and all the leaves look like they will fall off.. It usually stays in the bathroom but the lighting isn't best there and the ill health started to appear when I tried moving it under my 400w LED array to see if the light would help it to grow. I'm not sure what to do now, pictures included.View attachment 7819 View attachment 7820
I think the plant is not getting near enough light and is being over watered. If more than every 10 days or so it is too often. Your growing medium looks saturated. You should water only when the plant needs it. Before you water stick your entire finger into the soil, pull it out and then blow on it. If your finger feels the slightest bit cool the plant does not need watering at that time. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck, it looks waterlogged. Most citrus trees grow in fairly dry, sunny climates. It should probably be allowed to dry out completely between waterings.
Over-watering is possibly the number one most common mistake people make with plants (I used to be guilty of this too.)

Reaction score
I would agree with Chuck and although there are many reasons as to why your seedling is looking as it is - on looking at your photo I can immediately see that - apart from lack of light - the main cause of your problem is very definitely over -watering - particularly as - the pot appears to be sitting in water and the soil looks absolutely saturated.

Which as lemon trees or in fact any citrus tree need to be grown in extremely well drained soil and kept on the dry side - unfortunately means - that its very likely your seedling is well on its way towards its untimely demise - due to root rot caused by water-logging.

I would also just add that although it is sometimes possible to rectify this by drying out the roots and transplanting into a dryer growing medium - I'm sorry to say - yours does look to have gone past that stage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chuck and Gata came to the rescue again! Before I couldn't keep my orchid alive because I tend to over watering it. Now, I let it go and only give it water when the soil is dried. Never thought that too much water can kill the plant, but it is. Hope yours will perk up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Chuck and Gata but would like to add one thing. The bathroom is not a good place to keep it as it tends to be a damp atmosphere.

Reaction score
I am not so sure why. I just wish here in Georgia that we could grow lemon trees. I do know of one person that grew one. The lemons were very very small so I think its possible but lemons are not our thing here. I drink lemononade just about everyday. I mean I could save a lot of money if I had a lemon tree of my own. I really hope you get to the bottom of your lemon tree.

Ask a Question