Self Watering Raised Beds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking into Self Watering Raised Beds.

First I'm wondering if they will be ok in the Winter?

It only gets around zero for a few days. I'm thinking of Garlic and Onions.

I'm thinking on 2 foot high Raised Beds because of my Back.

My Son about had a fit when I mentioned it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you really having to water things in Winter? The plants can't use as much and more falls out of the sky.
My problem with self watering systems is always that the weather varies so the plants want different amounts all the time. Mind you that might not be so much of a problem for you as it is in England, 'Don't like the weather, wait ten minutes.'
HK beds are a cheap way to bring the level up, and the wood works well at keeping the bed moist in dry weather, raised beds can have a tendency to dry out, good drainage and extra water loss through the edges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I am considering, I have a bunch of old guttering, arrange it with holes drilled for the water and I can make it so I simply pour the water in in one place instead of going around the separate plants when it is dry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I water Onions and Garlic in Winter.

And of course stuff in the Greenhouse.

We've had such a Drought here. Looks better now but there is a bunch of dead trees.

My Son is having a fit because there is a big pile of dirt back there for my garden expansion.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Different folk, different strokes, I have winter onions and garlic in slightly raised beds for drainage, English weather and heavy clay mean low lying dis in my garden are regularly under pools of water in winter, and we are almost at the top of a hill.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had maybe 2 inches of Snow last Winter.

Getting a bunch of rain this Spring but still the bulk of it is going around us.

I have a few plants in Self Watering Pots and they are looking better than they have before.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah think leave it the way it is I need the exercise.

This should be fun I'm already falling because I think of my Medication but my understanding is Chemo will make you dizzy.

Plus I can't get back up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing to do with meds. I usually step backwards, hit my heel on something and sit down backwards, then I have to turn over to face down so I can get hands and feet on the floor to get up, the joys of age.
Having a bad leg has taught me things about myself, I put one foot in front of my leg to catch the heel of my shoe to pull on, the other foot I put behind my leg, that doesn't work with a bad leg, they both need to go in front. When I take shoes off I put the heel against the toe of the other foot, always the same one first, the one that leaves me with no shoe on my bad foot to put the heel of my good foot against. Before I just did it and never noticed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we know where I'm coming from.

I have a bad Leg and Arm it is a bugger for me to get up.

If I'm on my Back I'm messed up big time. Land face first I have to hold myself up with one Arm.

The worst thing for me is getting off a toilet. Bad go in looking how you plan to get up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried numerous methods of gardening and find the self watering wicking bed my favorite method. Never worry about over watering or under watering. I tried the gutter systems for a few years but they didn't work well for many reasons. This gentleman''s videos got me started on aquaponics and wicking beds. The aquaponics is a neat hobby but not the best way to grow veggies. Check out his wicking bed videos:

Ask a Question